Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old May 14, 2005, 9:34 AM   #1

Found this on a hike in one of our parks. I must admit I'm not much of an architecture person, I just think these old structures look pretty cool! I would however appreciate any comments on how to improve these types of shots.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2005, 11:47 AM   #2

John,

I'm no pro, but I do like the first shot. If it had a little more color, or if you could edit it to bring out the greens a bit.

I think I can see where you were going with the second shot but I think you could get a better result with a wider angle lens so you could get more silo and less sky.

Dave Porter
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2005, 4:06 PM   #3

Dave,

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try playing with the colors and saturations and see what other versions I can come up with. On the second photo - unfortunately that was as wide as i've got (17mm on a 17-40 but on a 1.6x crop 20d). I hear what you're saying though - maybe try sliding the camera in on the ground and take the picture remotely to get in tighter and lower to the ground.

Thanks for taking the time to look!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2005, 4:56 PM   #4

The first one is great and can be even better if you give it a bit more contrast and sat. I would adjust the contrast in a seperate layer and then add a layer mask to remove the contrast adjustment from the trees on the left.They have good detail in them now that will be lost by the contrast adjustment. By doing the layer mask you can still maintain the detail in the tree while giving the rest of the picture more of a pop. Then adjust the sat. of the entire image.
choeschen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2005, 3:49 PM   #5

Nice shots. I like the second one better..... These kinds of shots are really nice. Not enough people really appreciate this type of photography..... But keep it up. I love it.....
Bagsfan5 is offline   Reply With Quote