Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old May 20, 2005, 7:17 AM   #1
Bea

I have a hp 2410 and would like to know how to scann nagatives with it. I tried and only got a black strip. Thank You for your help.
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 20, 2005, 7:37 AM   #2
Administrator

Bea wrote:
Quote:
I have a hp 2410 and would like to know how to scann nagatives with it. I tried and only got a black strip. Thank You for your help.
From what I can tell from looking at the specifications, it won't scan film.

Most flatbed scanners are not able to scan film.

Some are (for example, I've got an HP that can film).Scanners that are film capableusually have 1) a lamp built into the cover that is designed to shine the light down into the scanner bed through the film, or 2) a Separate Lamp that plugs into the back of the scanner designed to shine light down through the film into the scanner bed (this is the way my HP scanner is designed for use with film, and comes with special templates designed to hold film).

I don't see any such lamp attachment for the HP 2410 (but you may want to check your manual to make sure it's not an option).

Afew scanners used a crude method of scanning film (a reflective type device that was designed to capture the light from the scanner bed andfocus it back down through thefilm). But, these usually didn't work too well. You really need one with a dedicated lamp for film for very useable results (and even these usually produce poorer results compared to a dedicated film scanner).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote