Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old May 22, 2005, 5:45 PM   #1

I am working on getting better at outdoor portraits. Any help or comments are welcomed. Thank you very much for your time and effort.
Attached Images

Bagsfan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2005, 7:49 PM   #2
Super Moderator

could you post a smaller version, i can't view the whole thing on my computer.. maybe somewhere where the long side is in the 600s...
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2005, 8:35 PM   #3

Nice shot.

Since I learnd a few trics last week from Rodney, I just can't stop editing every thing I see.....:roll:
Attached Images

gwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2005, 9:06 PM   #4

Thank you for the help end editing tips..... I just think that you cut off too much. I tried to cut it down some and got the above image.... Can someone tell me how to keep it like the image above that I put in, but just smaller... I dont want to cut anymore of the picture out.... Thank you
Old May 22, 2005, 9:29 PM   #5

One of the reasons we take portrait shooting outdoors is so we can take advantage of natural lighting. With this in mind, I have to wonder why you used such harsh on-camera flash to light your subject. Did you intend to use flash for fill?

I realize this is probably just a test shot, but when you plan on seeking advice or tips for your attempts, it is best to practice like it is the real thing. Your first responsibility as a portrait photographer is to make certain your subject is prepared. Freshly cleaned skin to reduce shine and hair fixed will render more pleasing results.

When the clothing is light or pale colored, the background should also be light.

I'd like to see another attempt without the flash and a slightly higher camera angle. Ditch the cap...it is too big for his head.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2005, 9:37 PM   #6

Rodney, Thank you Sir for your time to help. Yes, I was using the flash to take away the dark shadow underneath the cap.I was trying to use it as a fill flash. The reason that I was letting him wear the cap is that he always wears a cap. I was thinking on the lines of keeping him as natural as he noramlly is. We were not out to just shoot these portraits, so I will next time go out only to do that and make sure he has dry skin and a light background..... Thank you once again very much.

Old May 22, 2005, 9:50 PM   #7

Find a shaded area where the sun is behind the shade providing trees or buildings. Move your subject near the edge where the shade on the ground ends. Whatever is in front of your subject will reflect the light back up at his face.

Another alternative is to shoot your subject just before the sun sets with him facing the sun, but turned slightly away at about a 45 degree angle.

If you use flash for fill, you should set the flash compensation to -2.0ev.

Good luck.

Rodney
Old May 22, 2005, 9:55 PM   #8
Super Moderator

besides just matching light background to light clothes... try to find a background that is fairly uniform, so that it will not take attention away from your subject..

g'luck, dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2005, 9:56 PM   #9

Thank you once again VERY MUCH. It is so nice to have professional help
Old May 22, 2005, 9:59 PM   #10

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
besides just matching light background to light clothes... try to find a background that is fairly uniform, so that it will not take attention away from your subject..
g'luck, dustin
Good point, Dustin. Keeping the background elements simple will prevent surprise distractions.

Rodney