Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old May 24, 2005, 4:05 AM   #1

Edit: Removed.
Plain Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2005, 11:56 AM   #2

Hi Plain Jane,

I love hibiscus flowers. The problem is when capturing yellow flowers, there tends to be some blow out of highlighted areas....I've done it myself! :GIt is best to try and capture flowers when the sun isn't shining directly on them. I find the light the best when they are shaded or when it's cloudy...very early morning or late evening is a good time also...the light is much softer. If you're finding you're still getting blown highlights, underexpose up to -2/3 f/stop. I hope you'll be able to experiment some more as I know hibiscus flowers only last a day.

Happy shooting! :|
StitchBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 2:08 PM   #3

Edit : Removed
Old May 24, 2005, 6:46 PM   #4

very nice work jane!
the composition is fabulous on all three!
the yellows are a bit hot for me in the first..
to fix that, just hold a paper plate inbetween the sun and the flower
that will diffuse the light quite a bit..
you can also use paper plates to reflect light to the more shadowed portions of the flower, evening out the exposure..

love the second and third..
the supporting background of the second, and the soft pastelly colors of the third :-D

nice work!
Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 6:54 PM   #5

Love the composition of the 1st too,3rd just doesnt do it for me.The 1st one does have blown High lights,and yes flowers in general and Yellow ones in specific are tough.Good pictures though.Kepp up the good work.

Charlie
Striderxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 7:50 PM   #6

Edit
Old May 24, 2005, 9:35 PM   #7

The paper plates I'm familiar with will provide shade instead of diffused light. Diffused light or shade will not correct exposure problems either. Over exposure is the first problem with the first image. The second problem is framing. While it is OK to cut off part of the flower, it should be a bit more symmetrical than what you have unless it is obvious to the viewer why you framed the way you have. The focus is off a bit too.

The above comments also apply to the second image.

The third image has a lot of good going on for it. Again, you've failed, assuming that the blossom is the center of interest.

Let's not make this more difficult than it should be by dragging out disposable dinnerware. Instead, shoot very late in the evening just as the sun is setting or very early in the morning. I favor morning hours because the flowers seem to have a fresher appearance. Use a tripod if you have one...You'll appreciate the results.

If you are shooting with a DSLR with a macro lens, then try to shoot with the aperture around f/11. This will give you a little more depth, but not a lot.

Please accept my apologies for being so blunt. It takes a lot more to impress me than it does Vito. You do want to impress me?? :-)

Thank you for sharing and please try this again using some of my suggestions. Your flowers look a lot better than the ones I first submitted about 2 months ago.

Rodney

Edited Comments:

Oops...I see you do not have a macro lens yet. Ok, that is good and will work just fine for larger flowers. Read the documentation for your lens so you know what the minimum focus distance is. Whatever that distance is will be how far you need to be from the subject. If you do not have the documentation, let me know the lens and I'll look it up for you.
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 10:09 PM   #8

Edit.

Old May 24, 2005, 10:27 PM   #9

Plain Jane wrote:
Quote:
Rodney... I just got a tripod a couple of weeks ago. And my camera about 2 months ago. I'm just a baby. Don't harsh on me that way yet.
No problem PJ...I'll add your name to my "Do Not Critique" list.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 10:32 PM   #10

Edit. Thank You, Vito. For the help, I appreciate your kindness.