Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old May 25, 2005, 7:17 PM   #1

This little guy finally opened fully and I couldn't resist capturing it on 'film'. Critiques welcome

Also, is the grainyness (the background seems grainy to me)that I'm perceiving noise (or simply the effect of the depth of field being small)? If noise, why is it there? I'm using ISO 100, f/5., 37 mm focal length with a RebelXT. The way I cropped this was in Photoshop with the picture at about 33% actual size, selected with the bounding box and went to Image>Crop. Then, I resized that cropped image to 800 wide.

I'm still getting used to seeing the images I make digitally...

G35Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2005, 9:38 PM   #2

Overall this is a nice attempt. At ISO 100, you'll not see much noise so I suspect your lens doesn't have the most pleasing bokeh. Also, if you have in camera sharpening set to a high level or Auto level this can create some unpleasing artifacts.

The lighting for this image is not very pleasing for me and the flower almost seems pasted on the background. Shooting at a time when direct light isn't hitting the background elements will work better.

If you run the unsharp mask filter as a final step, it will work best to create a mask layer, usm the raster layer, select the masked layer and selectively paint black to remove layer or white to restore with the paintbrush tool.

Attached is a quick edit for demonstration.

Rodney

Attached Images

RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2005, 10:14 PM   #3

Thanks. I like the much smoother background that your edit gives. I think I will turn in-camera sharpening off for a while and apply sharpening when converting from RAW or later in PShop. This was taken with the kit lens (18-55mm), I can't wait for my 28-135mm IS to get here...I know that optically it's a superior lens.
G35Guy is offline   Reply With Quote