Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old May 30, 2005, 4:14 AM   #11

Vito,

I took my son to the museum of fine arts while on vacation in New Orleans last year. We walked into the abstract section and he announced how thrilled he was that the museum had children's art. Of course he was 9 and I was still introducing fine art to him. However,I thought his observations were adorable. Art is subjective.

Anyway, I think the image lacks an object to lock your gaze on but if your subject is the wind and you see the wind as something that can not be contained, your message is loud and clear.

It might be fun to do a study of the elements in abstract form. Fire, Water, Earth, and Air. Great now you are giving me ideas.

If your intentions were to make people think... then it worked.

Plain Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 12:04 PM   #12

rodney, i dunno if you've noticed this...but i've been here nearly double as long as you..

you have no idea what the forum was like before you got here,

so please don't pretend you do..

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 2:03 PM   #13

I'm an old school photographer, who has just recently made the transition from film to digital. I am still trying to get my head around of what digital photography means. Many of the images I have seen incorporates a lot of post processing. Some of you call it photography. Some of you call it art. As an old school photographer, my personal opinion is that photography is the image you obtain using the tools you have within your camera, period. When an image is posted for other to view and critique, are you posting it as a photographer or posting it as a computer whiz, someone who has a PC and Photoshop? I'm sure this subject can be debated forever with no real right answer.

Good points are made by both Rodney and Vito as well as the other replies to this topic. The other problem I have with this forum is that many posts are from people phishing for compliments as a ego boost to their abilities. Sometimes criticism, constructive or otherwise is not taken well.
Narcis Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 2:39 PM   #14

I just wanted to add that I like it too. It's different.It inspires me to move away from trying to get postcard images and see the world in the abstract.

Karen
KarenN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 2:51 PM   #15

What qualifies this image as an abstract?

RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 3:06 PM   #16

Define ABSTRACT
Define IN THE BOX
Define OUT OF THE BOX
Narcis Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 5:14 PM   #17

I like this photo very much. The portion on the left that is slightly distinguishable makesthe photo.

I always thought a good criticism included 2 positive comments for 1 negative............

timothy015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 5:17 PM   #18

Narcis Oblivion wrote:
Quote:
Define ABSTRACT
Define IN THE BOX
Define OUT OF THE BOX
Abstract: in terms of art, this means to represent a thing in some way other than its concrete experience.

In the box: to view a thing, concept orexperiencefrom an accepted, conventional paradigm.

Out of the box: Blah, blah blah... (don't you people ever get tired of ripping on each other?) Congtratulations, you just negated a whole century of art.

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com

OK, I'll bite. You don't like Vito's picture. I'm not particularly thrilled by it, but I respect the intent and the attempt. I'm tired; I'm going to lie down now.
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 5:42 PM   #19

Hi

RodneyBlair wrote
Quote:
I generally love creative images as this. Possibly I'm moved more south because of the title. There is nothing of interest to hold the viewer on the image.

I don't recall anyone commenting it is very difficult to critique anything other than portraits and flowers on this forum. Possibly you can post a link to that thread.
In reply Rodney, I think this reply of yoursis more the kind of critique that Vito might be able to use. As abstract is very more down to personal tastes its not easy - sure. I agree with you strongly there is no realhard and fast point of interest. On the other hand I still quite like it. The colour, shades and overall appearance. Mainly I appreciate the effort and would enjoy seeing more original efforts here.

The comment about the portraits and flowers was made a while ago, not by yourself. Its not overly important, just something I remember being said since the Critiques forum came to life. No time for me to trail back looking for that.

Vito, no sense in taking the comments personally. As said by others, no chance of pleasing everyone with this hobby, and would you want too? Especially with anything abstract. I did ask but you didn´t provide further information onyour thoughts. At the very least there alway´s seems to be a fair amount of responce to your posts whether good or bad. Some poor postersmust feel theirhaving dificulty getting any respoce at all. lol. Which can be a lot more unmotivating.

Ian
vindolanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 8:38 PM   #20

Vito,

Try posting this in another forum where there is more of an audience that can see what it is that you are trying to convey.

I see no technical merit to this for any real critique so I did not offer one.

I just don't see it as something to be critiqued nor knowing what technique you used to achieve this look.

Nevertheless, I feel that this is posted in the wrong forum.

Telling people that they don't know one thing from another as a response in a forum like this is the wrong place for it to be.

Personally, I don't like it at all and have seen much better by you.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote