Old May 28, 2005, 3:26 PM   #1

Vito
Attached Images

photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2005, 4:52 PM   #2

hmmm....

As abstract art, it works for me.
As a photograph, I'm not so sure... It's hard to tell what I am looking at. How about a rear-curtain sync flash, so you get the wind effect, but the subject also stands out?
maybe....maybe not...

mactek
mactek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 8:12 PM   #3

Nothing here that makes for a comment worthwhile.

Why post this?

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2005, 7:23 AM   #4

Well Vito, I´m going to stick my neck out and say that I really quite like it. After all are we not in effect producing art of our own making, whetherit is street, portrait, macro, abstract or whatever. I don't think it is a bad photo being passed off as art,especially if you have originally set out to produce something a little different. Calling this a photograph may have some confused, as it is more the case you have used a camera to produce an interesting image.Certain people can have very rigid rules from which they find it very safe to enclose themselves in, knowing they will always be right within them.

I for one would congratulate you on sticking your own neck out and trying to be a little bit different. Without trying to be too abrasive I do tend to be a bit bored with the usual portrait and flower close ups that seem to be the extent of the participants involvement in the critiques forum. I even remember someone commenting to a poster who complained there was no critique of the image he hadsent, that the reason for thiswas it was very difficult to comment on anything other than portrait and flower. As these have set rules in order to judge. I agree that with some other photographicsubjects critique becomes harder as the form lies outside these hard a fast rules that define some photographers. Maybe we just have to try harder to explain what it is we like or dislike about what is presented, than the photographer having to be limited to restrictive categories.

I would suggest Vito, maybe telling us a little more about what went into producing this shot. What was your motivation and thoughts for trying out something like this. The title `wind`is something I´m not too sure about. The photo may suit a different name. I don't think its too important that you may or may not have captured the essence of wind with this shot as after all you were hardly commissioned to that end. In that particular case and understanding only, you may not quite have managed if that was your initial motivation. Putting that aside, as I have mentioned, for its own merits Ithink its good.

Well done Vito, keep striving for originality.
vindolanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2005, 10:00 AM   #5

vindolanda wrote:
Quote:
Well Vito, I´m going to stick my neck out and say that I really quite like it. After all are we not in effect producing art of our own making, whether it is street, portrait, macro, abstract or whatever. I don't think it is a bad photo being passed off as art, especially if you have originally set out to produce something a little different. Calling this a photograph may have some confused, as it is more the case you have used a camera to produce an interesting image. Certain people can have very rigid rules from which they find it very safe to enclose themselves in, knowing they will always be right within them.

I for one would congratulate you on sticking your own neck out and trying to be a little bit different. Without trying to be too abrasive I do tend to be a bit bored with the usual portrait and flower close ups that seem to be the extent of the participants involvement in the critiques forum. I even remember someone commenting to a poster who complained there was no critique of the image he had sent, that the reason for this was it was very difficult to comment on anything other than portrait and flower. As these have set rules in order to judge. I agree that with some other photographic subjects critique becomes harder as the form lies outside these hard a fast rules that define some photographers. Maybe we just have to try harder to explain what it is we like or dislike about what is presented, than the photographer having to be limited to restrictive categories.

I would suggest Vito, maybe telling us a little more about what went into producing this shot. What was your motivation and thoughts for trying out something like this. The title `wind`is something I´m not too sure about. The photo may suit a different name. I don't think its too important that you may or may not have captured the essence of wind with this shot as after all you were hardly commissioned to that end. In that particular case and understanding only, you may not quite have managed if that was your initial motivation. Putting that aside, as I have mentioned, for its own merits I think its good.

Well done Vito, keep striving for originality.
I generally love creative images as this. Possibly I'm moved more south because of the title. There is nothing of interest to hold the viewer on the image.

I don't recall anyone commenting it is very difficult to critique anything other than portraits and flowers on this forum. Possibly you can post a link to that thread.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2005, 12:07 PM   #6

I think most of us tend to think of photography more as a representational, rather than abstract, art form. Personally, I prefer a more defined subject than what is presented here. I'll go along with Mactek regarding rear-sync flash. That would give the motion blur and still provide a better representation of the subject.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2005, 7:46 PM   #7

im sorry Vito but i have to agree with Rodney.

Looks like a bad photography with a little bit of photoshop filter
Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2005, 10:27 PM   #8

now that's where you're wrong...

contrast was the only thing changed in ps..

you guys are all stuck in that box...sry to say..

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2005, 10:53 PM   #9

Well Vito my friend , you did ask and this is Critiques and Techniques:-)
TD Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 1:41 AM   #10

Vito, if this is art that you intend for your own enjoyment, then it is fabulous. If you want others to enjoy your art and possibly want to offer it for sale then I suggest you learn to listen to the comments you receive here. Otherwise, you are stuck in da box. You don't necessarily have to agree with the comments...Just try to learn something.

You've participated on forums where everyone says nice things about your work even if it is lacking. It is easy to impress someone who has picked up a camera for the first time in their life a few weeks ago.

It's a pretty color if you like green, but has nothing else good going on. It might make a pretty wallpaper pattern for the living room. I dunno.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote