Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old May 29, 2005, 1:32 PM   #1
Administrator

Konica Revio KD-510z, ISO 400, handheld1/20 second at f/2.8, at a 35mm equivalent focal length of 39mm, panningas they drove by.

Cropped, thenFiltered with Noiseware with sharpening at +2, and downsized for web viewing with Irfanview using B-Spline.

The original (uncropped, unfiltered, straight from the camera) is at http://www.pbase.com/jcockfield/image/44019120. You can select the Original viewing size from under the photo. It's a bit grainy at ISO 400 (as images are at ISO 400 fromsubcompact models with a 5MP CCD). :-)

It got some interesting banding likeeffects from thelighting overhead.

Taken Saturday Night (May 27, 2005) at Oglethorpe Speedway Park in Pooler, Georgia during the 2nd Annual Race of Champions.

Attached Images

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 29, 2005, 7:48 PM   #2

The impression of speed really shows here and the lighting looks like I was there. I loved going to races like these and especially the Outlaws back in California. I will give this kind of shooting a try.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2005, 8:28 AM   #3
Administrator

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
The impression of speed really shows here and the lighting looks like I was there. I loved going to races like these and especially the Outlaws back in California. I will give this kind of shooting a try.
It was just a lucky shot. ;-)

You got a *ist DS, right? You really need a fast camera for this type of shooting. If I were going to try it again, I'd like a bright prime on a DSLR.That upcoming Sigma 30mm f/1.4 HSM EX lens looks like it would have been about right (since I was able to get close to the track, I wouldn't have needed anything longer for a shot like this one).

A pocket camera with a lot of shutter lag that's limited to ISO 400 (which is noisy in a consumer cam) is not the best tool for this type of shooting. I metered and focused in advance, using AF Lock andAE lock to eliminate most of the delay. But, it was still hard getting any usable photos. LOL

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote