Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old May 31, 2005, 7:09 PM   #1

I know it's not the thing to do, but I really love the look of flowers in direct sunlight. So, I've been trying to capture some that actually look good. I think I've finally got a shot I like, though I know it's far from perfect.

What do you think?

Attached Images

G35Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 1, 2005, 5:49 PM   #2

What looks good that we don't see shows up in a picture like this.

Beautiful flower but has too much blowout in highlights.

You stated you are aware of this so for what it is worth it is a good capture.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2005, 7:43 PM   #3

Thanks. I think I need to try an neutral density filter and see how that does or maybe a skylight filter.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 10:20 PM   #4

G35Guy

I've been trying to get a good shot of myRhododendrons too. The problem with sunlight is the shadows that it creates and the blowouts. Even in dramatically underexposed pictures i still get some blow out on Rhodos. I just don't think you can get a good picture in direct sunlight. I'll post a new thread tomorrow of one i did a couple of days ago.It's under the overhang of the front porch and gives it defused lighting but it still isn't what isee-in-my-mind before capture.

You're going to have to control the light and shadows somehow. You could try late in the day but it only tames the light a little. Been there done that.

Good Luck
dale

thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2005, 10:35 PM   #5
Super Moderator

you could try using a very light white sheet to diffuse some of the light.. have a family member or friend hold it between the flower and the sunlight.. that will help alleviate some of these harsh direct lighting problems.. but so will shooting the flower on a clouldy day (much easier).. as dale mentioned, i would also suggest try shooting the flower during a semi cloudy day at dawn or dusk when the light is orange and warm... thatcould possiblygive you a nice warm lighting that could interact nicely with the textures of a flower such as this.. just some things to try out..

good luck, dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2005, 10:51 PM   #6

I like the high contrast of direct sun with shadows as well. If there is only a small area of blown highlights, or several small areas, well disributed, I don't see anyting wrong. Light and shadow, along with color, is all we really have to work with.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2005, 5:30 AM   #7

flowers again. Nice to see the high level of photographic imagination on these forums.

Are you all too frightened to take that expensive equipment any further than your back gardens ?
LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2005, 5:54 AM   #8

LBoy wrote:
Quote:
flowers again. Nice to see the high level of photographic imagination on these forums.

Are you all too frightened to take that expensive equipment any further than your back gardens ?

Well, Mr. "All I can do is insult and be sarcastic", this shot happens to have been taken at the botanical gardens up in Toronto, which is several hundred miles from my back garden. Iwonder why someone such as yourself does nothing on a forum except go around and insult other people or their work. Nearly every post you make is degrading or flippant. I'm not sure why you waste your own time just to do that, is your life really *that* dull that this is fun for you?!

Oh, and, I'll be sure to tell the world of photography that every possible good shot of a flower has been taken and flower photos are no longer permitted in the sci-art of photography.
Old Jun 2, 2005, 6:45 PM   #9

LBoy wrote:
Quote:

I hate to say it, but that seems pretty rude to me. Flowers are a thing of natural beauty just as everything else in nature is. Many people love flowers, and spend their entire lives cultivating them to perfection. Photography is about photographing what you like. We should not put down pictures of flowers, sunsets, and waterfalls merely because they are commonly photographed. Each one is different and unique, and if you do not appreciate a picture, you can say so, but you don't have to be rude about it.

Anyways, I like the picture, but I find the shadow distracting. Maybe you could try forcing the flash. In the sunlight, the flash won't overpower the image, but it will reduce shadows.
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote