Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old May 31, 2005, 11:05 PM   #1

Here are some shots I've taken with my Panasonic FZ20. Any comments would be much appreciated, as I do not really know what I'm doing (but I'm trying to learn fast). Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

ride16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2005, 11:06 PM   #2

Attached Images

Old May 31, 2005, 11:06 PM   #3

Attached Images

Old May 31, 2005, 11:06 PM   #4

Attached Images

Old May 31, 2005, 11:07 PM   #5

#5 (OK, so this one's not actually wildlife, but it's still outdoors:G).
Attached Images

Old Jun 1, 2005, 1:22 AM   #6

Image 1 is a little soft, perhaps the bird needs more room to the right of the photo, try not to make the point of interest central.

Image 2 is a bit out of focus but really good composition, is the bird REALLY that green???

Image3 is really nice, needs a little more contrast though.

image 4 is cute

image 5, I really like it, shows a kind of moody look about it, a kind of silence before a storm sort of look if you know what Im getting at, hard too describe but I like it.

It is a good Idea to only post one photo per post.

regards

Julie

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2005, 2:24 AM   #7

Thanks for the info! When you say it's a little soft, is that something that just comes with practice, or can you sharpen it afterwards? I've been just using autofocus on my panasonic FZ20. There is a manual focus option, but I'm not quite sure how to use it. I'm new to this stuff, but I really want to get better. I have adobe photoshop 7.0, but I haven't figured out how to use it yet because I've been so busy this spring. Are most of the posts on the forum edited, or just straight from the camera? I didn't know if I should try to make edit them, or if I should just post them as they are. Thanks again!
Old Jun 1, 2005, 2:27 AM   #8

I haveedited the one that you mentioned did not have enough contrast. Any better now? I thought that was cheating, but it looks a little better to me.:G
Attached Images

Old Jun 1, 2005, 6:01 AM   #9

Photo #3 is the best in my opinion. But then perhaps thats because squirrels around here are shy and i'm jealous!

I wouldn't add too much contrast to the image though. It can give the colours a very false painted-on look. I think there is too much contrast added in your second post of the squirrel but that would be my personal taste speaking.

As for manual focusing on a compact digicam - don't bother. Stick to autofocus because it's incredibly difficult to judge sharpness using the lcd display. You would be better served learning the eccentricities of your cameras autofocus system, what conditions it finds easy and those it struggles with, etc.
One tip would be to use a higher f-number. I think f2.8 is the lowest on the Panasonic FZ series. Try using F5.6 or F8 (use aperture priority [Av] for this) if light levels on the scene will allow for it. If the scene isn't bright enough to allow handholding with high f-numbers then consider setting up a tripod. This will give you a bigger depth of field and a bigger margin for error with you focusing.
redundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2005, 12:27 PM   #10

Thanks so much redundo! I haven't tried playing around too much with the different f-stops because I wasn't really sure what they did (still have to look into that one). I plan on purchasing a tripod and a teleconverter lens sometime soon, so maybe that will help a little. I know the tripod will make a big difference. I waspropping my camera up against the side of the cabin to get the squirrel shots. :G