Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 2, 2005, 5:44 PM   #11

You Guys are great. Thanks for the help!

Ok, just back from work and the light seemed right so I tried this to follow up on SinRastro's idea of seeing me as I streaked the flashlight about.

It doesn't work for me but it is interesting.

Attached Images

redundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2005, 5:51 PM   #12

Kalypso Thanks for the suggestion with the streaking. I like it a lot but i'm trying to avoid photoshopping the image.

If I were to start photoshopping I may as well take a long exposure starscape and superimpose one image over the other. It would be easily done but in a way I want to show what can be done with a bit of ingenuity and a little bit of photographic knowledge.

Besides some of the other club members are digi-phobes!
:lol:

The more I think about it the more partial I am becoming to the simplicity of the original.

Old Jun 2, 2005, 6:17 PM   #13

The background nearly ruins it for me. The effect is still cool, but it's too distracting and completely takes the "magic" out of the method behind hte light streaking...at least for me.

The one thing I do like more about the photo with the background is that there is more room above the figure than below it.
G35Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2005, 6:30 PM   #14

Yeah it is really quite difficult to get things spot-on.

Basically I set the camera on a ten-second timer then leg it round the front of the camera. It's tough to tell exactly where the frame of the photo is running. The you have the problem of painting an invisible picture. You can't see where the streaks are yourself so you have to have an awareness of movements - how far to move your arm, how to follow the path you've already made with the light-streak.

It takes a bit of practice (and a wierd form of calisthenics!), but it's very easy to get one move wrong and suddenly the running man has three arms or his head is sprouting somewhere over his left shoulder.....
Some of my efforts were very Picasso-esque!
:lol:

I'll try taking more with the framing more like that in the second image I posted.
Old Jun 2, 2005, 6:42 PM   #15
Administrator

Now, I feel really dumb. I didn't realize how you made the image to begin with (I thought you had photographed some kindreplica of a manmade from gold colored metal against a dark background). Hence, my comments about panning the camera to simulate movement from motion blur. :?

Kalypso did something close to what I was thinking with the wind filter. But, I don't have a clue how you'd do it using the camera if your subject is being drawn by light during the exposure.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 5:20 AM   #16

I've been thinking about it and I can't see a way of getting motion blur on the figure either. I can always resort to photoshopping it, but I would prefer not to manipulate it if possible.

I have been wondering if it is possible to draw the figure and then pan the camera itself to give motion blur to the background. The only problem with that is it would need a fairly bright exposure and I would want to avoid appearing in the image myself.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 6:37 AM   #17

There might be a lensfilter out there that would give some kind of trailing light effect. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/has a pretty big selection of filters
G35Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 7:45 AM   #18

I think this is a very interesting shot. In my opinion, your capture is very good, perhapstoo good. I suppose that is why some of your responses so far think the shot is too static. I haven't read all the posts, but you may know of Pablo Picasso's work in this area. There's a brief article here: http://dsc.gc.cuny.edu/part/part8/articles/gross.html

One of the reasons the Picasso shots workis because he is a part of the shots, which show not only his subject, but his giant personality.

I have experimented a bit with this kind of thing, from another perspective - choosing an interesting light array, and moving the camera to create the scene. It's an interesting concept, but I'm not that convinced by the results so far. Check it out at:

http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com/v...p;id=Ballet001

That being said, I don't particularly care for the edits. It looks a little too studied to me. I would rather see the original shot (or one like it) done a little more sloppily to make it look active.

Still, I like the attempt. Don't give up on it; it gives me incentive to try again.

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com

Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 9:48 AM   #19

redundo wrote:
Quote:

I've been thinking about it and I can't see a way of getting motion blur on the figure either. I can always resort to photoshopping it, but I would prefer not to manipulate it if possible.

I have been wondering if it is possible to draw the figure and then pan the camera itself to give motion blur to the background. The only problem with that is it would need a fairly bright exposure and I would want to avoid appearing in the image myself.
The effect I did in Photoshop could be duplicated in a wet processing lab. Many of the Photoshop tools were designed to duplicate film processing techniques.
Old Jun 8, 2005, 1:38 PM   #20

Just a follow up since you've all been so good to offer your opinions and help.

The Club meeting was last night and I submitted pretty much the original image you can see in my first post. I was tempted to go with Kalypso's idea of Photoshopping in motion blur but in the end I decided against it for reasons of simplicity and so people would be able to see how the shot was created. I also tried to get the framing a bit better as another poster mentioned but I ran out of time before I could get something successfully done.

I didn't make the Top 3 (unfortunately) but I did get a good top 10 placing, can't remember the exactly where. I think the shot was a little too abstract for some peoples tastes, some just plain didn't get it and others understood straight away what it was and really liked it. I got a lot of favourable comments on it from other club members whose opinions I respect.

So all in all I was pretty happy. I think I'll keep working on the idea (taking all your suggestions into account) and maybe submit it for exhibition or a national competition.

Thanks again for all the help!