Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 2, 2005, 6:22 AM   #1

Hi guys,

I could really use your opinions and ideas of the following image. I intend to submit it for a Quarterly competition in my local camera club. The competition is themed "Movement" with the submissions being colour printed photos and I have gone for an abstract take on it.
The image is not digitally manipulated in any way.

1) What are your first impressions of the photo?

2) In your opinion does it satisfy the theme "movement"?

3) I have left the background deliberately under-exposed to the point of being blacked out to give the photo simplicity. However should I try giving the "Running Man" a location, a context? Say re-shooting beside a road, etc?
Attached Images

redundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 2, 2005, 7:34 AM   #2

IMHO

Actually,... (except for knowing the method you used for this photo)you got a nice drawing,.. but not that much "Movement".

As I said before... the pic is actually very still.

The drawing got by the flashlight movement, is covering the actual MOVING object (flashlght) and leave the image as a still drawing of a runing siloutte.

Maybe you could let see in the pic the guy/girl moving the flashlight... that will give IMHO more movement to the photo.

Thanks for sharing.

SinRastro

SinRastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2005, 7:46 AM   #3

I like it quite a bit. I'm not sure a background would add anything, it might even take away from the shot.

I definitely get the feeling of movement, both from the fact that it's a representation of a running human and from the light streaking used to create the image.
G35Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2005, 8:35 AM   #4
Administrator

I noticed you used a 30 second exposure....

If it were me, I might try moving the camera some for a short part of the exposure to deliberately give it some motion blur -- emphasing the movement part.IOW, a small movement during a short part of the exposure to showstreaking/motion blur, with the rest of theexposure with the cameramotionless to get a sharp image of the runner.

Just food for thought...I haven't tried to deliberately blur a still life. But, that's what comes to mind as something to try when I look at your photo in the context of the movement theme.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2005, 11:19 AM   #5

Thanks for the advice guys. Just the kind of thing i'm looking for.

It did occur to me to try and appear in the photo as I was drawing the running figure. I have experimented with it by placing the flash on 2nd curtain sync but that would freeze motion. I could try using a low f-number instead of f22. If I have the time I will try it but the competition is this Tuesday coming and I am working every day between so I might not get around to it.

JimC - I can't say I fully understand what you are getting at. Do you mean I should have an exposure long enough to show the bakground and then move the camera to blur it? I understand the effect you are thinking of producing (and I like the idea), but i'm not quite getting how it is to be produced.

I have been thinking of expanding on this idea further. By placing the camera on a tripod very low to the ground and pointing skyward and using a very long exposure..... say 5 mins or whatever it takes.... I could try to superimpose the running figure against a background of stars. I won't be able to do that for the competition as I don't have any remote release device - I would have to borrow one. But i think it could be quite effective provided the sky was bright enough.
redundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2005, 11:27 AM   #6
Administrator

redundo wrote:
Quote:
JimC - I can't say I fully understand what you are getting at. Do you mean I should have an exposure long enough to show the bakground and then move the camera to blur it? I understand the effect you are thinking of producing (and I like the idea), but i'm not quite getting how it is to be produced.
No... I personally like the dark background (although I'm sure that's subjective).

What I was thinking ispanning the cameraduring part of the exposure, then leaving it stationary for most of the exposure.

That *should* (in theory anyway), give some ghosting/streaking/motion blur behind the runner. You'd have to experiment with it to find out. Again, just food for thought. I haven't tried to deliberately blur still life photos this way. But, it happens by accident at times when shooting at slower shutter speeds, and it came to mind when thinking of movement when looking at this image.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2005, 1:04 PM   #7

I did a rough edit on it (hope you don't mind). Just ran it through the Stylize/Wind Filter in Photoshop.
Attached Images

Old Jun 2, 2005, 1:34 PM   #8

Well that edit looks very good.

Redundo,

I was going to coment that I liked your idea, but someone the image just looked a bit to static. Now what a difference the edit makes that Kalypsohas make. Totally brought that to life. I would say its much more worthy of the compitition now.

haha, opp yous going to take the credit for this one now... :lol:

Well done for originality. I like it.
vindolanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2005, 3:03 PM   #9

I like the edit, too. But, Ithink itmight look better without the photoshop motionblur on the light-streak created motion trails.
G35Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2005, 4:04 PM   #10

G35Guy wrote:
Quote:
I like the edit, too. But, I think it might look better without the photoshop motion blur on the light-streak created motion trails.
Like I said...it was a rough edit. Here's another where I took a little more time & only applied the wind filter to the trailng edges of the figure.
Attached Images