Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 7, 2005, 11:49 AM   #1

Took this with my Sony F717 .. pretty happy with the results, but all suggestions welcome!
Attached Images

jnyquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2005, 12:07 PM   #2

Focus seems to hold from front to back, and I love the subject matter :-)
Lake Superior is just a wonderfull place.
Good Shot.

Peter
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2005, 5:03 PM   #3
E.T

Looks nice... especially rocks in bottom show nicely.

But I would still prefer this kind scenery.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2005, 2:33 AM   #4
Mag

This is a nice shot I like the rocks in the foreground alot. But I think this picture couldof beenimproved using the rule of thirds for composition. Horizons generaly look better placed on the top third or bottom 3rd of photo.This shotwould be a goodcanidate for placing the horizon on the top 3rd so theres still adequit room for the rocks in the forgeround. For shots where the sky is the main interest the horizon is best on the bottom third, leaving the top 2/3rds for sky. And the ship could of been in the left 3rd as well. Theres alot better explanations on this if you want to do a search on google for rule of thirds. I cropped your photo just to show you the perspective altho this is a 100% crop so the ship would be smaller, the original is much better because of the foreground of rocks still intact. This is just a general guideline for composition which generaly leads to more satisfying results.

By the way I live in michigan and hope to make it up to the U.P. this summer to the soo locks area and also toPictured Rocks National Lakeshore. I have seen photos of the rock formations and sandstone on lake superiors shore that are breathtaking, i have to try it!

Best regards,

Mag
Attached Images

Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 10:30 PM   #5

I am familiar with the rule of thirds .. and agree with the premise. However, in this case, I wasn't able to apply it while still getting the desired effect of the brilliant and varied rocks while still including the freighter because the boat was so far away. So the shot was a compromise. Thanks for the critique, I appreciate it!

Jeff
jnyquist is offline   Reply With Quote