Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 7, 2005, 8:58 PM   #1

What do you think?
Attached Images

Ralph Ceglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2005, 4:45 AM   #2

Edited by me to remove my mistake:roll:.

I like it, and it's great how you caught the other wing too .

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2005, 6:02 AM   #3

It's not the legs that cause the dark shadow there; it's the other wing that is causing it.

You edited image looks a bit as if the bird only got one wing. Seems to me there is something missing.
dister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2005, 10:23 AM   #4

My apologies Ralph (andDister), I forgot birds have two wings :?.
Old Jun 8, 2005, 9:03 PM   #5

How would i have stopped the wings motion, or could I.
Ralph Ceglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 3:08 AM   #6

Hi Ralph.

Somehow I doubt you could catch the wings motionless, they can fly at 71 miles per hour and their wings flap at speeds of up to 90 strokes a second !! It can do more tricks than a Harrier Jump Jet or a helicopter and is the only bird that can fly backwards !!!

I don't think even your 20D could cope with that.

As they can't walk or hop, you will only catch them motionless when they are perching, but thay are usually always on the move.

Stevekin.
Old Jun 9, 2005, 3:21 PM   #7
Administrator

I've seen the wing motion stopped with high speed flash before from someone with a DiMAGE 7i. Herewas their technique:

Set the camera (D7i) up on a tripod around 2 feet away from the feeder with the internal flash set to manual. Exposure was f/8, 1/2000 second, manual focus about 1 inch behind the feeder.

Place a sheet of purple foam about 1 foot behind the feeder to provide a background.

The Feeder was placed so that the hummingbird would be at about a 45 degree angle from the camera.

Set the flash (Sigma EF-500 DG Super) in slave mode up on a tripod near and slightly above the camera (you want the flash near the camera so that the camera will catch the iridescent neck feathers of the male)

Setthe flash zoom and intensity correctly for the distance and made sure that the intensity was lower than 1/4 (the full flash duration of the Sigma is 1/700 second, 1/4 power is a duration of 1/2800 second - shorter than the shutter speed.)

Point the flash sensor towards the camera flash and the flash itself towards the feeder.

Use Minolta's long shutter release cable to trigger the exposure when a hummingbirdis hovering near the feeder (in between sips).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 3:45 PM   #8

.....................Or you could do what Jim said :-).

I am leaving this thread forthwith. (Only so many times I want to make an a*se of myself in one thread :whack::-))
Old Jun 9, 2005, 4:13 PM   #9
Administrator

Hey... I've never tried it. I remembered seeing some Hummingbird photos a while back and dug up the technique that was used. ;-)

I can imagine that a different flash (with an even shorter burst length) may be able to do even better in more conditions.

Added:

Also, the KM models have faster flash syncs than most other cameras. But, there's probably a way to do it with a 20D, too.

If the exposure is kept dark enough by stopping down the aperture, etc., thena slower shutter speed shouldn't make much difference (provided the bird is not exposed properly except during the flash burst duration). Of course, I can imagine that that's a lot easier said than done -- especially in daylight-- since the flash burst would need to be longer each time you darkened the exposureby another technique.

It's somethingto experiment with anyway.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote