Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 10, 2005, 8:11 AM   #1

Here is a resized to 35% size a night shot that has been cropped from my Fuji S5100. Comments welcome.

Attached Images

nelmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2005, 8:40 AM   #2

Great capture of the night lights. I would suggest cropping the houseboat out of the foreground:

Attached Images

GeorgeNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 12:52 PM   #3

Or you could silhouette both boats to leave the interesting shape still inplace but less distraction.
Attached Images

creeduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 1:41 PM   #4

Creeduk, I really like your suggestion.

May I ask how you blacked out the boat house? Layers?

And howdid you lighten the image and keep the blacks black and the detail around the lights? I assume this is more than just gamma andbrightness/contrast.

Old Jun 10, 2005, 3:59 PM   #5

I duplicated the layer then added some liberal shadows and highlights (photoshop CS and above) (most can be done with sume subltle levels. Then I changed the layer type to screen and changed the opacity until it looked good. I then masked back the original sky becasue it looks better dark. Ithen made another layer copy and masked it so only the boats showed, now using a combination of levels and burn (set to burn highlights) I made the boats silouette.

I have just looked at this thread on my laptop (I made the post on my PC with CRT at work) and the boats show through just a touch due to the Ultrasharp screen on the dell precision. So if any one views this on a laptop, I apologise and will fix this when I get a chance.
creeduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 6:07 PM   #6

You should leave to house boat in, it gives the image spacial dimension.
tim da tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 7:14 PM   #7

Great shot! I think I like it best with the house boat silhouette. Do you mind me asking what settings you were using? I'm assuming you used a tripod? I'm really new to this, but I'm trying to learn, and I can never get my night shots to look even half this good.
ride16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 10:42 AM   #8

Seting were 6 second exposure with ISO 64 and focus set to infinity (at least I think it was). Anyway I didn't have a tripod with me so I had to sit the camerea ontop of the car I was driving and it worked pretty well. Looking back I should have tried a slightly longer exposure to saturate the seem a little better instead of post editing to brighten it up a bit which adds some noise.
Old Jun 17, 2005, 1:56 PM   #9

I'd like to see a longer exposure, too- in order to bring out more details in the buildings in the center and the bridge. In doing so, I'd take out the bright buildings on the right- as they will likely get overexposed. To my taste, I think they're already too bright as it is to blend well with the rest.

S1Artiste is offline   Reply With Quote