Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 12, 2005, 10:17 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Something of a departure for me; one of a series I took of the in-line skaters that hang around the South Bank Centre in London.

A bit of PS work to sharpen, saturate and increase contrast.

If they like the prints they may want me to do some promo work for them.

I've done some A4 prints that look pretty good I think but I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Attached Images

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2005, 12:35 PM   #2

Things I see:

You might want to sit on the ground for a better angle. It might make it look more like he's flying. You could also clone out the "box" on the ground, especially if you were at a lower angle.
Tighter zoom/crop.
I'd like to see the skate wheels. It's hard to tell what he's doing here.
The background is really loud and seriously distracts from the main subject..

Otherwise, good stop action and sharp photo.

mactek
mactek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2005, 5:31 PM   #3

An experienced photographer must decide what is needed to isolate the subject from the foreground and background elements. We don't always have control of the scene, but we do have control of our cameras and how we use them. If the background is important because of advertisers, then you still have options. Camera angle and framing are equally important ingredients.

Here is a quick crude edit that may give you some shooting ideas. I don't have any I'd like to share.

Rodney
Attached Images

RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 3:37 PM   #4

I like the edit better. The shot is awesome but the background is very busy with lots going on to take away from the great freeze frame shot.

A cleaned up version of the edit would look awesome.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 7:09 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Thanks all for the comments.

I know it's an endless discussion about how much photoshop is cheating. In this kind of shot I feel obliged to get the panning right in-camera.

In the sequence that I shot I didn't get any panning shots at all! Next time I shall certainly endeavour to do so, thanks to the valuable feedback here.

The print is much better at seperating out the skater from the background, but not having some decent panning shots to compare against is certainly a mistake.
Old Jun 17, 2005, 9:08 AM   #6

I like the picture but think that the lower angle of the camera would make it much more mystical.I think that the background is fine but maybe take the pics at a differtent spot so that you could get only one part of the background so it looks more uniform.

Charlie
Striderxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 10:25 AM   #7

I loved the colors in this and the action. I had a quick play and added a path which I could then use for either vector masks or strokes (even made a nice custom shape :?) Well here are 2 versions, but once isolated there are endless styles for the background, it comes out nice with a comic type effect as well, the colors lend themselves to that. On this one I took down the white levels of the text behing the skater, he has a white top and the attention is torn between the 2 areas. Then a couple of stroke layers one with a diffuse glow.

HOPE you don't mind the edit, it is just for ideas.
Attached Images

creeduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 10:25 AM   #8

no 2
Attached Images

creeduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 11:51 AM   #9
Super Moderator

creeduk wrote:
Quote:
I loved the colors in this and the action. I had a quick play and added a path which I could then use for either vector masks or strokes (even made a nice custom shape :?) Well here are 2 versions, but once isolated there are endless styles for the background, it comes out nice with a comic type effect as well, the colors lend themselves to that. On this one I took down the white levels of the text behing the skater, he has a white top and the attention is torn between the 2 areas. Then a couple of stroke layers one with a diffuse glow.

HOPE you don't mind the edit, it is just for ideas.
No - edit away. :-)

Nice editing skills btw.