Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 16, 2005, 7:11 AM   #11

Deleted
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 12:54 AM   #12

What about this (if you don't mind) :-):-):-)
Attached Images

gwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 1:49 AM   #13

Deleted

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 3:18 AM   #14

The edit is ok, but doesn't really have anything to do with the techniques involved with getting this image. Also, you've created a new center of interest which I doubt is the artist's desire.

Nice editing skills though.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 4:52 AM   #15
Super Moderator

I like the original colour shot; the slightly unbalanced framing works a little better for me than the greater symmetry of the crop in the next edit.

I don't particularly mind the wire in the shot either, I'm finding more and more that I like context and "real life" in photographs, the snapshot aesthetic if you like, for that reason I also think the reflection in the windows is fine.

I see a beautiful shot of a real building, and slight imperfections don't detract from the impact of the shot, they put me in mind of the fact that you saw something that struck you as visually interesting and you captured that to share it with me. I don't see this as an abstract shot at all, and in my view editing toward that detracts from the impact.

Of course just because it's a snapshot doesn't mean it's immune from the general technical considerations that apply to all photographs, if it were poorly exposed or badly composed or out of focus you wouldn't have taken me to that place.

Nice work.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 5:31 AM   #16

I too prefer the image with the wire and agree such elememts keep it real. The reflections in the glass also can be nice little extras for the viewer, but I feel they are a bit too strong here creating slight distractions that disrupt the natural flow of things. The reflections certainly do not ruin the image though.

Unfortunately, images as this lose a lot of impact when sized down. A large print will be awesome. Make yourself an 8x10 or larger print...I think you'll be very pleased.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 9:03 AM   #17

I really like this shot.This the original is the better of the two.I think if there was a bit more on the right side so that the sills dont touch the edges of the picture it would be that much greater.The reflections are that bad and keeping the wire is fine,but I think the wire gone would be a bit nicer.Great pic no matter,though.

As for the critiqueing well the weather has a bit to do with it as most web sites I visit are slower when the weather is great.Also I think there are alot of newer photographers out there with the lower prices for the better cameras and I think we think we are to green to be critiqueing anyone when we need alot of work ourselves,but I will try and offer my opinions more often when I feel brave enough or actually feel like I know what I like and dont like about pics.

Charlie
Striderxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 1:08 PM   #18

Cropping to the very edge of the window sills tends to make the eye extend them, and gives an unsymmetrical look to the outside windows. My preference would be to leave some space on both sides of the picture. You might try a sunlight filter, such as included in Filters Unlimited, or other plugins, to give it a little boost. Same thing can be accomplished with levels and curves, but the plugin filters are a bit quicker.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote