Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 16, 2005, 10:55 AM   #1

Black seamless paper with fog/smoke generator for background. Key light is shot through umbrella above the subject. Fill is large softbox near the camera. Background lights with red gel on each side with moderate lighting on hair.
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 16, 2005, 4:03 PM   #2

Rodney,

I like the lighting and the backgound, but the pose looks a little labored and unnatural. It just doesn't look right to me.

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 5:48 PM   #3

I agree with headhuner, with the first picture the posed seemed at rest, this one seemes unsettled, almost as ikf he was moving to a new position at the time of the picture, apart from that the lighting and the background are great,

The Shrimp
Shrimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 5:55 PM   #4

Thanks for the comments. Poses are a personal choice and intended to look as they do. I'm mainly participating in the techniques sharing here which is why I offered the details. :-) I'd like to keep comments about the technique rather than personal preferences and like/dislike type comments.

Rodney
Old Jun 16, 2005, 7:48 PM   #5

I like this technique very much.The pose is a personal thing. How do you maintain the darkness under his right leg. I find that this takes away from a possible distraction of a hole under his leg.

I may be reaching here by saying thatbut I like that it is not visible and that the subject can be looked at. I find that I was drawn to his hair where the fog effect intertwines with it.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 11:14 PM   #6

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
I like this technique very much.The pose is a personal thing. How do you maintain the darkness under his right leg. I find that this takes away from a possible distraction of a hole under his leg.

I may be reaching here by saying thatbut I like that it is not visible and that the subject can be looked at. I find that I was drawn to his hair where the fog effect intertwines with it.
Placement of the key light and fill ratio provide the shadowing needed under the leg. Proper distance of subject from background prevents seeing through to the lighted background. I was on my knees for this shot so the camera was only slightly above his head.

You've pointed out an important element that we often do not see while preparing for a shot.

Rodney
Old Jun 17, 2005, 12:27 AM   #7

Beautiful pic. Very professional skills to me.

Just curious, how did you manage the smoke so it didn't go to the front of your subject and ruin the picture?
gwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 10:16 PM   #8

RB,

Very cool concept to the shot.

The only changes I could suggest would be to have the model drop the white socks, and perhaps put a soft filter effect on the shot to take the edge off the sharp focus.

But all in all, very well done.

TR
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote