Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 17, 2005, 5:21 PM   #1
Super Moderator

I thought this was quite an interesting shot.

No selective sharpening of the rose or special PS work - just contrast and minor levels adjustment from the RAW file.

What do you think?
Attached Images

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 17, 2005, 5:31 PM   #2

Hi Peripatetic

I really like the upper half of the composition. Very tall rose indeed. I think cropping the frame at the top of the fence would give you a cleaner image without the distraction of the fence. Just my opinion though. Neat shot!

Thomas.
ThomasATC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 6:10 PM   #3

Great shot Peripatetic, Definitly one very tall rose. The background for the rose looks great and I'm with thomas on cropping out the fence, although you may want to leave a little if you want to show the height of the rose as part of the shot rather than the fact that the rose exists. The only thing I don't really like is the somewhat out of focus rose to the left of the main one, since the colors are just as vivid I'm drawn to it. It might be slightly better if it was either more out of focus (either by reshooting it with a smaller DOF, or editing it), or the way an amature like me would do it, desaturating (partially or fully) the rest of the image.

If non of this makes any sence remember my level,

The Shrimp
Shrimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 7:37 PM   #4

some thing wrong with this post. See the one below.
gwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 7:37 PM   #5

did bit weird editing:-)
Attached Images

gwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 8:05 PM   #6

Now that's more like it!

Great job taking the best of the photo and putting it together. That's exactly how the photo would have looked in my own hypothetical photography world (where I have an SLR of course). The only thing you could do to make it better in my opinion is possibly crop it to the point where you don't have to desaturate the background, but looks great. Of course if you don't like modding photos the original looks great to,

The Shrimp
Shrimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2005, 2:15 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Thanks for the comments.

The DOF was as shallow as I could get it with that lens - I shot on aperture mode with the aperture set to f1.8.

The backlight was because of the time of day, so I might go back and shoot another before the rose fades. Gwei picked up on what I thought was so interesting - which was the line on the fence that almost looked like a stem.

When I reshoot I'll try to get one lined up like he has in PS, but I kind of like the offset one too, kind of a memory of a past rose or something like that.

And it is a tall rose - that fence is about 2m high :-)
Old Jun 18, 2005, 5:41 AM   #8

The marking on the fence is certainly an interesting element, but this image lacks the kind of impact we expect to see when shooting flowers. Additionally, the image really doesn't provide the viewer any real clue how tall this rose actually is. Though the height isn't really important, you've introduced height as an element in the title.

You may not have the elements to work with here, but a wider view with a smaller aperture would have pulled this together as a nicer scene. A close-up is not always the answer when shooting flowers. Sometimes, a cluster is the better option.

Without seeing the scene in person, it is difficult to offer any good advice for shooting this subject. If you reshoot, try a variety of different angles and go wider. I generally do not care for a mixture of hot and dark background elements and there is no exception here. Shooting at a different time of day may render a more pleasing image.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 1:28 AM   #9

I know, after shooting Lord knows how many rose shots, that it ain't as easy as you might think. Finding the perfect specimen is tough enough. You can not conjure up whatever composition elements you'd like to add, snap your fingers, (or wiggle your nose) and... make it so. To appreciate this shot fully, I thought back to my many attempts and then looked again. (Ya, ya...I used to use the rose as a practice sort of exercise...) My preference is for the flower itself, the background colors, and the composition I think, is attractive. The fence is a good comparative indicator, considering the reference to the height of the flower. These ideas come to mind from a student's perspective and are the product of participating in group discussions in a recent class.Artistic appeal, I think is the strongest element here tho. Nice work...best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 2:01 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Kenneth,

In general I find photographs of flowers extremely boring. Even looking at still-life masterpieces like Mapplethorpe's leave me uninterested - so I see no point in trying to replicate something, which if done to perfection, still leaves me cold. The exception to this is Macro photography, which I find interesting, but more for the biology than the aesthetic impact.

The height of the flower was essentially irrelevant to the image, I was just a little short of inspiration when naming the thread.

But this was a scene which struck me as interesting when considered as a snapshot. The key point was the line on the fence which looked like a rose stem with the rose rising above it. I could see the very strong contrast between the sky and the leaves and thought that by getting a very shallow DOF the background would become unsettling and hard to look at, but as the rose was the only element in sharp focus the eye would be drawn there nevertheless.

Upon reflection I think I could have done better by making sure that I got the sensor plane parallel to the fence - i would have had the whole fence and the rose head all sharp and I think that would have given the picture more texture, also it would have been interesting to match Gwei's idea of lining up the stem with the marks on the wood.

This was certainly not meant to be a pretty picture, rather one that was a little unsettling and interesting to look at because it was unconventional.