Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 20, 2005, 5:44 AM   #11

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
KENNETHD wrote:
Quote:
A picture of the bride in the middle might have put a more visual wedding atmosphere before the viewers.
I like what Rodney has done here. It is pretty obvious what this group is gathered for. The fact that people have been able to pick out who the groom was validates the composition and expressions. I know one of my favorite pictures from my wedding was the one with me and all of my groomsmen. Having the bride in the composition would be nice, as would shooting the same pic of the bride with her bridesmaids, but this thread is about the technique of this particular shot.

I appreciate the difficulty in getting exposure correct in this situation. I recently took pictures at a First Communion under the same conditions and struggled with not overexposing the whites. I will try to duplicate this technique in my future attempts at event photography.

Thanks for sharing, and I'm glad to see you back in this forum Rodney:!:
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I could have shot this one using a hotshoe mouted flash. In fact, the results may have been slightly better if I had. When I shoot scenes as this with a hotshoe flash, I generally set the flash to manual mode and then set the camera's exposure compensation between -1.0 and -2.0ev.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 7:49 AM   #12

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
RodneyBlair wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
The shot is a pre-ceremony shot so I wanted a shot of him looking somewhat weak-kneed. He was very excited about getting married, but men always joke about getting cold feet. I asked the brother in-law on the right to give me a devilish grin. :-)

Rodney

I don't understand why you would even suggest something that absurd. This is a pre-ceremony shot. A traditional no-no to see the bride before the wedding. I am sure there is something to what you suggested but it was not shared in this post.

How about technical merit in your reply rather than adding say a car or a boat for that matter.
I fail to recognize how my comment is absurd. If so it is my comment and the details of my shot that I am sharing here. You don't like what I had going through my head to prepare for this shot then that is fine. It's my style and I get paid for my style.

Rodney
Old Jun 20, 2005, 8:29 AM   #13

RB,

The cropping seems a little tight.

Would have liked to seen a little more border around the shot.

I find shots that are cropped too cose are somewhat claustrophobic.

Also, it would have been better to blur the background a little.

Shot is slightly overexposed.

All in all, it's still a pretty good shot!

TR
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 8:30 AM   #14

RB,

The cropping seems a little tight.

Would have liked to seen a little more border around the shot.

I find shots that are cropped too cose are somewhat claustrophobic.

Also, it would have been better to blur the background a little.

Shot is slightly overexposed.

All in all, it's still a pretty good shot!

TR
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 9:19 AM   #15

nice pic, damn there ugly though. You did a good job with what you had to work with :blah:
simonbratt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 4:24 PM   #16

RodneyBlair wrote:
Quote:
vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
RodneyBlair wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
The shot is a pre-ceremony shot so I wanted a shot of him looking somewhat weak-kneed. He was very excited about getting married, but men always joke about getting cold feet. I asked the brother in-law on the right to give me a devilish grin. :-)

Rodney

I don't understand why you would even suggest something that absurd. This is a pre-ceremony shot. A traditional no-no to see the bride before the wedding. I am sure there is something to what you suggested but it was not shared in this post.

How about technical merit in your reply rather than adding say a car or a boat for that matter.
I fail to recognize how my comment is absurd. If so it is my comment and the details of my shot that I am sharing here. You don't like what I had going through my head to prepare for this shot then that is fine. It's my style and I get paid for my style.

Rodney

Rodney I blew it with the quote thing altogether. My comment was for KennethD.

My comment was for him to say something about the technical merit of the shot and saying to add the bride in a shot that was obviously a pre-ceremony shot.

I like your picture and felt that so many times me included do not comment on the picture.

My apologies sincerely for being misunderstood.

Tom
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 9:03 PM   #17

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
RodneyBlair wrote:
Quote:
vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
RodneyBlair wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Rodney

Rodney

Rodney I blew it with the quote thing altogether. My comment was for KennethD.

My comment was for him to say something about the technical merit of the shot and saying to add the bride in a shot that was obviously a pre-ceremony shot.

I like your picture and felt that so many times me included do not comment on the picture.

My apologies sincerely for being misunderstood.

Tom
Hi Tom,

I figured your comment was the result of an honest fumble, but decided to give you a good response anyway. Hehe

No need to stress...I appreciate your comments even if you feel the need to be a bit harsh.

Thank you for the clarification.

Rodney

Old Jun 21, 2005, 12:10 AM   #18
Super Moderator

Rodney.

very nice pose. great setting and composition.. i also think it is a nice touch to have the groom not smiling.. that definately makes it easy to pick out the groom.. more importantly for your clients is that this, combined with the brother and law's expression will surely be a conversation starter for many years to come..

thanks for sharing some of your wedding shot, i have enjoyed viewing them and reading the ensueing commentary..

best regards, dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 2:37 AM   #19

Thank you for the comments, Dustin. Men can be a challenge to pose because they often feel they look less masculine when posed. The groom was easy to work with because I had worked with him before and he is very confident in my ability.

Rodney