Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 19, 2005, 3:15 PM   #1

Hi everyone!

After a bit of a break (work and family time!) I've been able to get back to enjoying walking around New York City with my camera.

I was walking down Bleecker St. toward Bowery and came across this. Neatly arranged designer shoesjust outside of a door.

For those that know the area, you may find this little tidbit interesting-- the shoes are designer BCBG shoes positioned less than a block away from CBGB's (the world famous location where legendary bands first played)

This is the original from the camera -- I'm not sure which crop would work best... or if a black and white does the trick? Any help is welcome!

THANKS!
Attached Images

smilez03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 19, 2005, 3:17 PM   #2

A bit abstract... but I liked the way the shoes became more of a focal point and matched the door and brick.
Attached Images

Old Jun 20, 2005, 6:08 PM   #3

I agree in making the shoes more of the focal point. I agreewith the b/w. Here is my input:

Attached Images

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 9:16 PM   #4

Hi Toro,

I like that! Did you play with the black and white layer's contrast a bit as well... I really dig it! As for the crop, thoughts?

THANKS!
Old Jun 21, 2005, 10:07 PM   #5

I find the point of view a little off on the shot.

I think if you had moved around or crouched down a bit, you would have got the shot you liked.

If I saw a situation like that, I would have taken 10 or 15 pictures from different angles, and really experimented with it, so that later on I would end up with the best one.

It's a interesting story behind the shot, but the question is how to tellthe story to your maximum advantage using your camera.

I'm not sure a different crop is going to fix the shot.

--- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 9:07 PM   #6

Here is how you do it:

1. Duplicate the image.
2. Convert to grayscale.
3. Using the spray brush tool using a gray, almost black color, touch it up here and there.
4. With the lasso tool copy just the shoes from the original image and touch'em up a little with hue.
5. Place the shoes in the gray scale image.

I agree with Terry regarding the crop. If I could do something with the shot you got is to loose the white door. If I could retake the shot, I would have liked to get the entire door and shoot the shoes (with the door) at a steeper angle as to minimize the shoes in front of a big door. Something more like this:

Regarding the story. It is a nice story but pictures take a different story depending on who it looking at them. When I was thinking what to do with the shot, I was thinking that those shoes were a present for someone inside. I was thinking that someone inside, with a big grinon their face,was telling their girlfriend to open the door for a big surprise. I was thinking that the surprise will be even bigger if I make the mood around the shoes a bit gray, depressed. I my mind I was thinking of the big smile onthe girl's face when sheopens the door and see the colorful shoes.

You see. That's my story.
Attached Images

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote