Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 20, 2005, 7:55 AM   #1

well...... took enough shots over about 30mins but only one really worked (and i mean worked in the looses sence). Need to work out better ways.... any thoughts.

Fuji S5000 pre focused with flash

Simon
Attached Images

simonbratt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2005, 8:59 AM   #2

What was your shutter speed?

It looks like you lost a lot of detail because of movement. Moving objects are really tough to begin with - when you combine it with low light, they're a nightmare.

I'm not an expert but I suspect you may need faster shutter speed. Since you're using a flash, as long as you are within its functional range, it should illuminate enough for a good shot.

And remember, don't worry about annoying the bat - they're blind.
DanielT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 9:33 PM   #3

Nice to see your shot here. I looked at it with special interest since I am trying for the same shot, only with magpies. The pre focus is a good place to start, but I had some luck with shooting multiple shots (7 per sec or so) but I wasn't happy with the short pixel count. It gave me a place to start tho. I must work with a camera that can't deliver as well as a DSLR and my solution is clearly just to tweak until I get it. The bat of course is a special kind of shot. I hope you'll post some more and show us how you finally get the shot. Good luck, best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 11:20 PM   #4

Looking at your EXIF, I see that this was taken at f/3.2. Since your subject is moving, even with pre-focus, you have to be extremely lucky to get a well-focussed shot. I would recommend using aperture priority at f/8 or f/11 to have a greater depth of field. Your flash should freeze motion well enough. This is a difficult shot to get with any equipment, and the only real solution is to keep shooting until you get one or more that work.

BTW, bats are not blind, they just need glasses.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 11:21 PM   #5

It comes to a point that certain cameras cannot pull off the kind of shot that you want. You are simply asking too much for what it can do.I tried to my dismay to get indoor shots (wrestling) with my FZ20 (no flash since in most places it is not allowed). Miserable results. I tried everything and did this at three different tournaments and I was right on the mat literally at all of them so it was not like I was in the stands trying this.

After this experience I decided that I need to go to a DSLR. I found that trying as much as I did it would only frustrate me further and I would settle for shots that are less than decent.

The picture that was taken of the batis in Normal Program, 1/60 shutter speed and at 400iso. The noise makes a shot like that unacceptable and to be shooting for a half hour and get that as close to the best shot for that amount of time would have me do as I did after accepting the fact it is not what the camera can do.

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 6:10 AM   #6

thanks. i take the points on board about the f stops and the iso, i must say i thought the iso was on 200 but i guess it changed in Auto mode??

i will keep trying as im still enjoying it and i will try increasing the

Shutter speed was 1/64th,

what shutter speed can you get away with when using a flash at night?

comments appreciated thanks

Old Jun 21, 2005, 11:38 AM   #7

Do you have a place where bats visit often or was this a one time thing?

Contrary to what most people think, bats usuallydon't mind bright light at all, in fact, it concentrates their food source (insects).

If you have a place where you know bats feed often in numbers, bring a spotlightwith you and prop it to shinestraight up into the air...it will attact a lot of insects and the bats will swarm over the spotlight, which will allow you to use faster shutter speeds, etc...

Once you've gotten that far, you can even "train" them to come when you want. Take small pebbles, about a cm in diameter and through them str8 up over the spot light...quite often the sonar will pic it up and they will go after it as if it were food.

I used to use these techniques during college for a zoology class where I was doing a bat research project and with some persistance, they worked relatively well.
G35Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 12:10 PM   #8

Actually your shutter speed was your flash duration, maybe 1/6000th of a second :-).

When the flash is the main or only light, it's duration becomes your shutter speed. The cameras shutter only needs to be open long enough for sync to occur, in DSLR generally about 1/250 or slower..

I suspect you need more DOF to get sharper results, which would mean a smaller aperture. To do this you would either need a more powerful flash or a higher ISO.

I think it is a very good capture given the P&S camera used.

Peter.

simonbratt99 wrote:
Quote:
thanks. i take the points on board about the f stops and the iso, i must say i thought the iso was on 200 but i guess it changed in Auto mode??

i will keep trying as im still enjoying it and i will try increasing the

Shutter speed was 1/64th,

what shutter speed can you get away with when using a flash at night?

comments appreciated thanks
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 12:33 PM   #9

hi, yes i have quite a few bats that fly round my place every nite.
are they around all year?

thanks for the info , very interesting
Old Jun 21, 2005, 9:12 PM   #10

Very cool concept!

I'm sure if you worked at it, you could get a couple of bats in one shot.

If you took like 100 shots, you could probably end up with 10 shots that would make a heck of a photo essay!

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote