Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 20, 2005, 1:03 PM   #1

I build furniture and I was wondering if anyone had a good idea of backdrops for final pictures. This photo, for instance, currently has just a black background. For final pictures, I would, of course, clean up the edges more but I was wondering if anyone had a good idea as to what to use for a backdrop. I've used natural color sheets as backdrops while taking pictures before but I just don't like the outcome. I wouldn't mind cropping these out before posting but don't really know what to use behind it for more of a professional look. Can anyone give some suggestions?

aplustech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2005, 1:25 PM   #2

Look, furniture...is um, awfully exciting to all of us. I hold my breath in awe at the thought of a green and beige chesterfield I once saw in a catalog somewhere, and I bet we all have stories of we could tell of our favorite pieces of furniture in our lives. Thank God someone has brought this to light at last!!! I'm sorry. I was just laughing a little, here. I really don't know how you might catch the eye of someone scrutinizing your furniture pics, but you might borrow one of Frank's, or Kalypso's models to drape themselves over your creations (in a bikini). Or do that and park a Ferrari along side with the model as well. That is a very spiffy looking armoire by the way. I'll bet Rodney will have some fabulous suggestions for you!! Best regards,

KennethD

Oh...puh lease!! I was N O T dissing R O D here!
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 1:34 PM   #3

As a woodworker myself, when I look at catalogs or magazines (Woodsmith) I notice that they photograph their pieces in a setting that it would be placed. i.e. A Kitchen table in a kitchen and so on. If you wanted to get more into the detail, I suppose the one shot of the piece in the proper setting with a few close ups around it.

Good luck, nice work from what I can see.

Dave Porter
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 1:35 PM   #4

As a woodworker myself, when I look at catalogs or magazines (Woodsmith) I notice that they photograph their pieces in a setting that it would be placed. i.e. A Kitchen table in a kitchen and so on. If you wanted to get more into the detail, I suppose the one shot of the piece in the proper setting with a few close ups around it.

Good luck, nice work from what I can see. Did you punch the copper yourself?

Dave Porter
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 2:54 PM   #5

Thanks Dave. I did, in fact, punch the copper myself on this piece. Most of my work is online at http://www.woodcrap.com. I'm in the process of making some website updates and just noticed that I wasn't happy with the overall look of the pictures at all. I do like the idea behind being in their natural setting but, I don't generally have enough furniture and/or room to shove around them. The other thing that I've noticed, especially true with things like Stickley's catalog, is that they use a darkening/softening touch to their photos which really adds some warmth to the photos. I'm more than happy to take suggestions on how to do this. I guess I need to throw a few in Photoshop and see what I can come up with.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 6:05 PM   #6

Anybody?
Old Jun 24, 2005, 6:49 PM   #7

I think the shots you are referring to use lighting instead of Photoshop to add the warmth and depth. Probably the cheapest thing would be a couple of halogen work lights from Home Depot. You can get white cards, aim the lights away from the piece and just use diffused light from fairly close to kill some of the reflections. You won't get a lot of warmth and depth from an in-camera flash. Once you get the shadows and depth right you can warm it a little in Photoshop if you like.

You might photograph something like your chest against drapes with one of your nice small tables next to it with something interesting sitting on the table. Have the chest offset and the table not completely in the picture unless you want to show both at once.

Beautiful furniture. It is worth getting the lighting right to show your stuff at its best.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2005, 7:30 PM   #8

Thanks Slipe. Good suggestions.
Old Jun 25, 2005, 10:16 PM   #9

1) I like to see the scale of a piece, which goes along with the previous poster's suggestion to place the object in a familiar setting. I'm ok at reading dimensions in a catalog's description, but I "understand" an item better if I see a regular sized person using it - like someone putting away dishes on the upper shelf so that I could see that I wouldn't have to use a step stool, etc. Second to that would be to put it next to a known item, like a flower or a kitchen counter.

2) www.woodcrap.com (?) That's not appealing and I would think twice about placing an order with that name. Your items are not crap, they are lovely.

3) Iron your drap clothes, the wrinkles are distractin to your items' beauty.

All the best,

mhn
book_vender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2005, 10:28 PM   #10

Thanks vender, very good suggestions as well. Regarding the name, it's just me. I'm not planning on selling any of these pieces, just showing them off so the name isn't really pertinent.