Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 24, 2005, 5:22 PM   #1

Hi everybody,

PeterP recommended I post an my image up here for critique if I really wanted it inspected. I'll just post the link to the other thread if that is okay.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...330716#p330716

Thanks!
Matt
mlydy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2005, 8:52 AM   #2

Hello Matt,

Overall, this isn't a bad attempt. When working with white background and dark clothing it is difficult to keep the attention on the face/eyes so the unusual framing and angle with the face up front help with that.

Because you've chopped off part of the limbs, the extra space at the top and right become visual annoyances. The eyes will move to these broad open areas only to find uninteresting space. I suggest you crop the top and left down to the top of her head just barely cutting out the white background behind her. The part in her hair will fall near the corner of the frame.

The one complete leg with the heel of her foot really doesn't add anything here either. In fact, it leaves the viewer wondering if she is missing a leg. Crop from the left to somewhere near or across the jeans pocket.

The catch lights in her eyes suggest two separate light sources. Normally, you want it to look very natural as if the subject is outside or light is from an open window. When placing your key and fill light, use your modeling lights to determine where to place them by looking at where the catch lights fall. If using constant lighting then no need for modeling lights. :-)

Under exposed about half a f/stop for this type of scene. You can give it a little bump with a levels adjustment.

Skin tone is off a tad too. She should have a bit more yellow in her tone than what you have here. Did you use a camera preset white balance setting?

Is this image about the model or your mark? It is way too big and too obvious.

These are just a few quick thoughts. I would have provided an edit, but I would have had to cut off your mark and didn't want to do that. If you want more, please post again.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2005, 9:31 PM   #3

Rodney,

Thanks for the feedback. I will play around with the image in terms of cropping.

In this case I did use auto-white balance, which I typically do not do. I must have reset the camera back to AWB prior to shooting this series.

Can you tell me how you arrive at the image being a half stop under exposed? I'm always trying to make sure I have a good exposure. I prefer to get it right in the camera as opposed to working it in Photoshop if possible. I'm just looking for ideas on what to look for there.

Same question goes for the skin tone, I have difficulty determining proper skin tone at times. On my monitor and print the skin tone looks good. Just curious on your take there.

As for the mark that is only there because of the image being posted on the web and I mark the images that I put in my portfolio book. The final images never have a logo on them.

Thanks for the critique. I will be posting more images as time permits.

Matt
Old Jun 26, 2005, 11:40 PM   #4

Hi Matt,

Most of my original comments were based on what I saw rather than any special post tricks to determine. The more you work with these types of images, the more you begin to see. I'm sure they are many who will argue about the exposure because it is adequate for online display. Remember that light falls on the face of prints and our on-line images are backlighted.

You have highlights, midtones and shadows. The highlights(on the subject) should peak in the upper third of your histogram. At least, that is what my goal is. Anyway, this is a fine line and mostly a personal preference. You can use the lasso tool to select the face to check histogram on selected area.

For comparison, I've edited your original so you can see the difference. I prefer this much tighter crop because it seems to have more impact. You could also crop with a little more space to the right and above her head, but I think that leaves a weird balance.

After I cropped, I increased the size so it may look a little more pixilated than the original.

Rodney

Edited Version:
Attached Images

Old Jun 26, 2005, 11:40 PM   #5

Original:

Attached Images

Old Jun 27, 2005, 3:18 AM   #6

I like the original but I do feel a better connection with the model in Rodney's edit. I communicate a lot by looking at eyes (which I'm sure a lot of people do) and with the original I felt I had to crane my head sideways to make a connection due to her positioning. I like the way her eyes are sitting on a power point in Rodney's edit also.

StitchBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2005, 2:00 PM   #7

Matt;

You have a really good photo here. The original skin tones look OK, but I would increase the gamma of the red channel slightly to give a bit warmer look. Having cropped her hands and one foot, I think you should continue, and crop the other foot as well. Maybe not quite as tight as Rodney's. I would leave a bit of space on the right.

I do agree whith Rodney that your logo is a bit large and distracting, unless this is being used as an advertisement.

Here is an attempt to show what I mean. Pardon the removal of logo. I really didn't want to take the time to move and resize it.

brian
Attached Images

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 4:01 PM   #8

The more modest crop by Brian doesn't work for me because there is too much contrast between the legs and background. The space between the legs creates another high contrasting area for distraction. The viewer is quickly drawn from the face to the lower area of the pants with no visual path back to the face. Basically, the viewer is sucked right out of the frame.

Since the area below the waist really does nothing to flatter the models's figure, I don't think there is a good reason to keep it in the frame.

Rodney
Old Jun 30, 2005, 10:32 PM   #9

Thank you all for the feedback! I will play around with this image some more to see what I really like. You've given me some great things to think about. I appreciate it!

Matt