Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 27, 2005, 1:44 AM   #1
sdu

Hello, (BTW very great web site! congrats!)*I got a Canon 350D a week ago, upgrading from an Olympus 350D P&S and an old Canon FTb.*So today I when somewhat runabout with this great Rebel XT.Here is a view in a park. Picture taken in the afternoon (along quite a few others), check the EXIF for specs, lens had a UV filter. This is a crop of the original, and I have also resized it down.This one picture caught my eye as there are vineyards that have a pattern matching that of the wood structures. The real view was fading out into the fog nicely.The original was sort of washed out, especially the horizon, so I downloaded a demo of Photoshop Elements and tried to fix the photo. After applying the automatic enhancements, I used the magic wand to select the horizon (mountains), then create a new layer with it, then tried to pull up brightness and colors so to bring back some details (there are a radio-telescope and an observatory there!).So I wonder, 1) how is the picture? 2) composition? 3) the editing?**I could post the original, that is before fixing. Any critique welcomed!
Attached Images

sdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2005, 1:46 AM   #2
sdu

Sorry for the big blob of text, I can't seem to have the end lines to make through! I am typing here with these...
Old Jun 29, 2005, 8:41 AM   #3
Super Moderator

sdu,

I like the attempt - I'm sure there is a good shot in there somewhere.

A few things worry me - first of all it's not just about pattern and texture, so not abstract, rather it's landscape shot with interesting texture.

The light is not great - this would appear to be during bright daylight, so the far distance is very washed out. I think it would be better early or late in the day.

The composition is quite cluttered, now you may not have been able to get a different vantage point, but you state that what interested you was the contrast between the texture and pattern of the roof and the vineyard, but that's not apparent from looking at the photo. By moving (levitating perhaps?) to the right and using a telephoto you might have been able to make the viewer see it too.

This crop is of the bit that you thought was interesting, but the photograph has a lot of extra stuff that detracts from this central theme.
Attached Images

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2005, 9:07 AM   #4

Sorry, but I'm a little more direct. I doesn't do anything for me, there just is no point of interest in this shot. Keep trying though.
LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2005, 1:49 AM   #5
sdu

thanks for the comments! * ** ** ** *LBoy, I think I tend to agree, as the more I look at the picture the less I like it, and it definitively does not render what I saw and meant to capture.* ** ** ** ** *Peripatetic, thanks for the improved crop and accurate comments. The shot was taken around 5:00pm. Yes the vines are drowned in the green, itself overpowered by the red roof. I think I was already at the maximum zoom of my lense (80mm). Hopefully the next one will be better!