Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 28, 2005, 3:11 PM   #1

this is my first time posting here on this site.* *i've been finding a lot of useful information that will help me become better.* i've been a long time user of compact digital cameras - canon s50 and sony 828 - but i just picked up a canon 20d and i'm loving it.*attached is my very first attempt at macro with this camera. learning about fill flash, i'm wondering if i should have used it in this picture.* any comments are appreciated.here's the picture in full resolution:**http://photos17.flickr.com/21842805_34fdef02aa_b.jpg
Attached Images

mugen76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 28, 2005, 3:42 PM   #2

here's another one with the sun at a different angle. again, here it is in a higher resolution:* http://photos15.flickr.com/21842513_cd69d90017_b.jpg
Attached Images

Old Jun 29, 2005, 2:11 AM   #3
sdu

beautiful flower, here are some comments, from a neophyte, on the first picture: I like the colors and the background, but I don't like the cropping and the (lack of) focus on the pistils. I whish the pistils were in focus since this is what the flower is offering to me. For the cropping, I see an incomplete flower, I miss the rest of it. Now having the whole flower in the frame would probably leave a big gap at the bottom, which might be nicely filled with the other unopened flower if it was more forward. Another perhaps better framing might have been with thebottom cropped out (leaving out the other flower perhaps) and keeping the whole top of the flower in the frame so that we can enjoy its beauty, almost as like the flower would sit on some surface
sdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2005, 2:17 AM   #4
sdu

On the second picture, my attention is on the back 2 petals, then I realize that there is "nothing" there and I veer onto the out of focus pistils and the front petals. But I like the color contrasts, the background out of focus (the flower is sort of floating in a sea of green, like that). Perhaps you could have had a nicer results bu focusing (manually?) on the pistils or on the base of them and add some depth (f-stops)?
sdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2005, 11:41 AM   #5

awesome comments!! thanks.. i will remember them for my next photoshoot.
Old Jun 29, 2005, 11:41 AM   #6

yea, next time i'll try different fstops to get more depth from these petals that jut out at you.