Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 30, 2005, 6:29 PM   #1

Taken at my local botanical gardens on my Canon G5 using the 20D closeup lens, in raw mode and with a tone curve applied in PS Camera Raw to boost the shadows a bit. Those water drops weren't placed but fell there naturally after the keepers sprayed the entire house early in the morning.

I'm just a beginner and would appreciate some honest (constructive!) comments.
Thanks
Rob
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2005, 3:13 AM   #2

I like it. Not much more to say.
Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 4:36 AM   #3

Well, shooting macros can be very difficult. However you managed very well for a beginner I think. The image is clear and crisp and the colors seems very natural. My critique would be, that you must take more notice of the background. Think about what it is you want to show and be careful not to get any disturbing things into the image. In the upper right corner some brown/orange plant is moving the viewers eyes away from the eyecatcher (your drops!). You can change this in an editor but keeping an eye out for it next time will save you time.

Only one more thing. Regarding you focus - it seems to be on the back of the cactus spikes and not the drops. The drops is an a place that meets the eye right awayso this place should stay pinsharp. See my point?

Best regards

Klaus

Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2005, 10:57 AM   #4

Thanks for the response. Getting a 'clean' background is very difficult in this particular location because all of the plants grow so closely together.

The focus is just me being inexperienced and probably not taking enough time with the shot
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote