Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 30, 2005, 5:32 PM   #1

This one was taken on a different day in the gardens' hothouse (35 celsius or something silly). No macro mode this time, but with the Canon G5 posed precariously over a small pond. Unfortunately I hadn't started to use raw mode on this shot so it's perhaps not quite as nice as it could have been, but I like how it looks in B&W (with shadows enhanced using a curve) and printed on A3 it looks surprsingly good. I'm pleased with it but would appreciate some constructive criticism.

Thanks
Rob
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2005, 4:40 AM   #2
Super Moderator

To me this has the most potential of all the shots you have posted.

I don't particularly like this composition - I think you could do a much better crop. You have positioned the centre of interest right in the middle of the frame with lots of space around it and that rarely works very well.

Additionally there is a distracting shadow in the top of the picture which could easily be cropped out.

Another thing to consider is the contrast v detail balance. It's always a difficult trade-off in B&W, but I think the modern trend is certainly in favour of the impact that higher contrast gives rather than subtle tones of grey detail.

Here's an edit to demonstrate what I'm thinking.

I also suspect there may be a very good colour picture there too. I'd like to see the original.
Attached Images

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2005, 9:54 AM   #3

Appreciate the response, thank you.

This is the colour version, but with a slightly tighter crop and stronger tone curve than the b&w version above. I agree with you about losing the top 'shadow' but I think I prefer a bit more space around the leaf than your crop allows. I like the contrast between the light and dark areas on either side of the picture.

Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2005, 1:03 PM   #4
Super Moderator

I think it's a great monochrome shot in colour too.

I accept that it's a tough one to know how to crop. But I did do a quick levels and contrast adjustment for your consideration.

The proof of course is not how it looks on a monitor, but how the print looks.

Anyway - keep up the good work. Looking forward to more from you. :-)
Attached Images

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote