Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jul 3, 2005, 1:46 PM   #11

It's probably not the printer that is producing washed out results. I suspect you are sending washed out looking files to the printer. Your original lacks contrast which you improved in the edited version. Prints can handle more contrast and sharpening than our displays can. The transitions are smoother in print.

Do the images look the same in photoshop as they do here on the forum?

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2005, 2:58 PM   #12

My monitor is correctly calibrated, I do this for a living, looking at a few thousand prints a week. The original has a slight greenish tint to it, if you do not see it that's fine but I'd appreciate a little bit of mannerisms. Not everybody is right all the time.
Spritzup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2005, 3:04 PM   #13

Spritzup wrote:
Quote:
My monitor is correctly calibrated, I do this for a living, looking at a few thousand prints a week. The original has a slight greenish tint to it, if you do not see it that's fine but I'd appreciate a little bit of mannerisms. Not everybody is right all the time.
I do it for a living too. No one has to take my word for it. Load the image in potoshop and push up the greens to see what does not happen to the skintones.

Rodney
Old Jul 3, 2005, 7:26 PM   #14

Yes Rodney as far as I can tell they seem the same.The old HP 820Cse printer I have has in the past performed well for the few hundred or so photo's I've printed but the ones I'm printing now seem washed out unless I boost the saturation in photoshop first. Probably need a new printer before I go too far with the 10 CD's full of photo's I have to print. Any suggestions?

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2005, 7:56 PM   #15

I loaded the original image into PSE ( the cheap version I got with my scanner) and went to Image- color-replace color. I set fuzziness at 200 and used the eyedropper to pick the color on Regan's cheek. Then I increased the saturation to 100% and the color never went green only pink to red. I then chose enhance-Hue and saturation and increased the green tint until I started to get really noticeable green tint(at about +94 or so). I then put the hue slider at 0 and moved the saturation slider to the high side and the skin tone stayed at a normal look until about + 40 where the tone started to show a little red. I then moved the slider to +100 and the skin tone stayed about the same as the +40 range and really was not that objectionable to me although the rest of the photo was a total mess. So what does all this mean?????

Dawg
Old Jul 3, 2005, 9:02 PM   #16

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
I loaded the original image into PSE ( the cheap version I got with my scanner) and went to Image- color-replace color. I set fuzziness at 200 and used the eyedropper to pick the color on Regan's cheek. Then I increased the saturation to 100% and the color never went green only pink to red. I then chose enhance-Hue and saturation and increased the green tint until I started to get really noticeable green tint(at about +94 or so). I then put the hue slider at 0 and moved the saturation slider to the high side and the skin tone stayed at a normal look until about + 40 where the tone started to show a little red. I then moved the slider to +100 and the skin tone stayed about the same as the +40 range and really was not that objectionable to me although the rest of the photo was a total mess. So what does all this mean?????

Dawg
It means that there is no significant amount of green in the skin tones. :-)

Rodney
Old Jul 3, 2005, 11:03 PM   #17

As I surmised!! Then that means at least on my monitor that there were no significant greens in the skintone. How about a suggestion on the printer technique for my old HP 820Cse. I don't think that after my vacation and the bills accrued and the purchase of a new 47 inch plasma TV, that the wife will let me up grade!! LOL

Dawg