Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jul 5, 2005, 6:30 AM   #1

Critiques please.
Attached Images

gwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2005, 11:31 PM   #2

The sky and the buildings in the background look nice, but the cars and the foreground look to be a few stops too dark to my eye.
Were you exposing for the sky and the background?
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2005, 2:13 PM   #3

The foreground is underexposed and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be looking at here. Is this a skyline shot with some stuff in the way? Or is the foreground what I should be paying attention to?

If it's a skyline shot you might try retaking it from higher up or a different spot without so much foreground stuff.

If the cars/trees are the focus I would recommend setting your exposure for them (rather than what's behind them) and possibly even setting the DoF to bring them into focus more.

Also, you can use a long shutter speed so there is motion blur if you want a "life in motion" type effect.
Frangible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2005, 7:58 PM   #4

eh......it seems my idea doesn't work.

I WAS exposing for the high rise buildings and the sky. I also wanted a silhouette of the tree branches take most space of the picture.

The first thing impressed me was the pattern of the braches. I then saw the contrast between this pattern and the high rise building background. Of course there are cars in the foreground. These are representative elements of modern life.

So I had the feeling that this composition, in a way, reflects our life. The sky is bright, the buildings represents the modern civilization, the cars represents a kind of rhythm of life, and the heavy and restrictive pattern of braches represents it's counterparts in our life....

So the picture doesn't really have a single interest point although the background is in focus. Technically it was mainly because I didn't want to loose the details of the buildings and clouds.

oh well, after all, that's just my dream. I put it here for a test. See what you guys read from it.

gwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2005, 1:48 AM   #5

Ah, ok sorry, I just didn't understand it
Frangible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2005, 3:02 AM   #6

I like the photo, and while I do see why the cars are in the picture, I think it would look better without it. I realy like the way the branches frame the buildings in the background.

If you crop out the cars, or maybe make them even more underexposed ?
Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote