Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jul 8, 2005, 1:45 AM   #1

Hey,
Tell me what you think of them and give me any tips or advice, etc...

experimental_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 8, 2005, 12:37 PM   #2

Before you hear it from a moderator, please refer to rule 4 of the forum...only one picture per thread.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2005, 12:54 PM   #3

Really??? Why would that be??? I didn't upload them using the uploader on this site, I used photobucket.
There is no good reason to only have one picture per post :sad:
Old Jul 8, 2005, 2:27 PM   #4

Actually there are a few reasons. The first one is download time for people with a dial-up connection. It would take a long time for all the pictures to load. Second, since this is a critique forum, it is very hard to critique when there are more than one picture to look at. It's best to show just one picture so knowone gets confused about which photo is being critiqued. There are other forums on this site that may be better for this purpose, but not this one.

Dave Porter
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2005, 3:52 PM   #5

Well what we usually do on other forums for 56kers is we put a "56K warning" in the title. I forgot to do that, sorry, so that really isn't a problem though:-)

As for critiquing, it is not hard to say photo one two or three :G:-)

headhunter66 wrote:
Quote:
Actually there are a few reasons. The first one is download time for people with a dial-up connection. It would take a long time for all the pictures to load. Second, since this is a critique forum, it is very hard to critique when there are more than one picture to look at. It's best to show just one picture so knowone gets confused about which photo is being critiqued. There are other forums on this site that may be better for this purpose, but not this one.

Dave Porter
Old Jul 8, 2005, 4:26 PM   #6

experimental_pilot wrote:
Quote:
Well what we usually do on other forums for 56kers is we put a "56K warning" in the title. I forgot to do that, sorry, so that really isn't a problem though:-)

As for critiquing, it is not hard to say photo one two or three :G:-)

headhunter66 wrote:
Quote:

Dave Porter
Here is a copy of rule number 4.

4. Be Concise
Please post only one image per thread...this will allow each image to be judged on it's own merits and keeps the thread on topic.

The rule simply allows attention to be focused on one picture. By introducing multiple images, the topic loses focus and bounces around. The rule is not meant to be limiting or difficult and nearly everyone who regularlypost inthis forum adheres to the rules.

In terms of your images they seem to be done well enough and look good. I appreciate the difficulty in capturing fast moving images and trying to keep them sharp. However the pictures of the planes in the air seem a bit too static and don't really relate their speed or motion, and there is nothing in the background to show scale. There isn't much thatholds my interest artistically. Using a panning technique to show motion might make things a little more interesting. Again, technically they are ok, but to me the images are just good snapshots.

rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2005, 6:37 AM   #7

Most of them look like the planes have been over sharpened to me. Also, some halos around some of the planes suggesting either that your selections are not exact enough or that some of the planes have been pasted on top of a sky background.

As for the creativity, in my opinion, some backround other than sky would add interest - maybe try getting shots of the planes actually landing or taking off, or flying over a tree/building etc.
simonknutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2005, 6:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Well what we usually do on other forums
This is not those other forums. You agree to abide by the rules when you register, please do so.
Also, keep your shots to a maximum width of 800px, it stops the forum being stretched. As for people on 56k, I am on 56k and had to endure watching your pictures load.

As for the pictures, they are dramatically uninspiring. The composition isn't great, the quality of the shot is average, the glare is quite startling. Don't give up your day job.

Buceph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2005, 12:34 AM   #9

Buceph wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Well what we usually do on other forums
This is not those other forums. You agree to abide by the rules when you register, please do so.
Also, keep your shots to a maximum width of 800px, it stops the forum being stretched. As for people on 56k, I am on 56k and had to endure watching your pictures load.

As for the pictures, they are dramatically uninspiring. The composition isn't great, the quality of the shot is average, the glare is quite startling. Don't give up your day job.

Well I thought it was very IGNORANT what you had to say about this fellas pictures and this is done all the time in this forum...multiposting on the same thread....I'd like to see if you could get even close to these shots ? good job pal you musta got right on the threshold to get these
TD Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2005, 12:15 PM   #10
Administrator

For this forum (Critiques and Techniques), we prefer only one photo per thread (as indicated in this forum's guidelines). We don't mind someone posting more than one version of the same photo (here it is cropped differently, etc.) in response to critique. But, let's try to keep it to a single image being talked about in a thread within this forum.

This helps to keep comments more focused on how to improve aspecific photo (versusthe moregeneral comments you tend to see when multiple photos are posted in a thread).

Sure, it happens from time to time (members not reading the guidelines and posting multiple photos). We don't read every thread to find them all. This forum is setup differently compared to the rest, and we'd like to makeit a Critiques and Techniques Forum (versus a photo sharing forum). One photo per thread is a way to help helpkeep the comments focused.

When Isee someone posting more than one photo, I tend to point it out so that it doesn't happen again (and so others will be more aware of the guidelines). If it's already been pointed out by a forum member, I may or may not comment.

In this case, there seems to be some debate over it. So, I will comment.

For future threads in this forum, please keepthe guidelines in mind.

Thanks.

Jim C.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote