Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jul 11, 2005, 8:35 AM   #1

any opinions

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2005, 10:02 PM   #2

Niceportait. The only pick from me is that the chin is nearly melted into the neck.

Rodney is an export in portrait and he should have more to say.

Here I give it bit more contrast and cropped it tighter.
Attached Images

gwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 5:03 AM   #3

I love the backlighting on his hair. And it doesn't hurt that he is a cute kid - I liked the cropped version - so we can focus more on the face, which you caught in a pleasant expression, and I think I would like the white logo on the shirt photoshopped out so it does not compete with the boy's face.

Nice colors.
Tippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 7:54 AM   #4

Thanks, gives me some correction Ideas:-)
Old Jul 12, 2005, 12:37 PM   #5

You've done an excellent job manipulating mid day lighting. A few months ago I was being told it couldn't be done effectively. Blah!

Excellent control of the highlights on the hair. You have the highlights hot enough to show the lighting conditions without blowing highlights. It works great here on the hair and top of the shoulders. I'm impressed!

Your choice for the position of the fill is ok and is your choice and it works well. I would have placed it higher so the catch lights in the eyes were at 1 o'clock. This would have provided a little more modeling of his features. What you have works well for the young though.

The pose is a little awkward, but still looks good. Overall, it is a little too static though he is leaning. If the lower shoulder had been a little closer to the lens with the head turned more toward that direction it would have had a little more impact.

Since this is a close-up, the design on the sweater is a distraction. Crop tighter or paint it out. It would have been fine for a wider view.

This young fella have a lot going on for him and overall you've done a great job. If you have an opportunity to work with him again, try to bring out the lips more. I could tell you what to do, but I want you to explore. He has thin lips so some corrective techniques to bring them out more will be helpful.

Color is off a tad. Sample the catchlights in the eyes for color correcting this one.

I'm quite proud of you...This one is PROFESSIONAL quality.

Thank you for sharing!

Rodney
Attached Images

RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2005, 8:25 AM   #6

Thanks Rodney, Ive taken all that on board. I was going to take the white off the top anyway but just wanted to see what others would recommend. Lighting was late afternoon sun with a silver sun shade you use for your car window used to reflect the light back into his face. Shot at ISO 400 shutter 1/200s at F5.6.
Old Jul 14, 2005, 4:42 AM   #7

I like both edits. First one works a little better for me. I'm not distracted by the lettering on the jumper. As a whole I like it better. I would slightly rotate this shot just a tad and re crop. Its twisting my eyes a bit.

Just a suggestion.
LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 8:14 AM   #8

Thanks Lboy, Im not keen on rotating as I hate plain dead straight on poses
Old Jul 14, 2005, 8:58 AM   #9

No no, I by no means meant a rotation that was straight on. I had thought rotate just a bit. Keeping an angle there is definitely important. It just looks a bit ... not quite right. Anyway no problems, just a thought.
LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 10:11 AM   #10

Oh I get what you mean now:-)yeah I will have a look at that