Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jul 13, 2005, 11:00 PM   #1

:cart: o.k. the speed was only 1/800 sec instead of 1/1000+ to stop wing motion. Was 8+ ft away. Nikon D70s w/ Nikon 28-200 f3.5-5.6G IF ED lens. I find it a great all around lens until I can afford the 60mm Macro/Micro. Graininess is probably to to the 'High' level of sharpening done with Nikon Picture Project I downloaded it with.
Attached Images

brinnonbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 13, 2005, 11:47 PM   #2

a tad grainy, but a great shot otherwise!

welcome to the forums!
Luxowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 9:51 PM   #3

welcome to the forum

I like the shot, but i think it can be nicer if taken at a better time of day. I'd like to see deeper colours on the hummer

clem
clem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2005, 2:42 PM   #4

I happen to think it's quite nice. The grain add to an image but then i like grain.

A better time of day???!!!! Photography is capturing a moment not a better time of day.

nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2005, 4:42 PM   #5

It is true photography is capturing the moment. That is what this shot happened to be coupled with the setting of the camera.

It is also true about light in photography so the time of day would and could make a difference. Being realistic with this shot though one can't be choosy and wait for a better time.

Again, it is all a matter of preference. The motion blur makes this much more realistic than to have a complete stop motion shotof this hummingbird.

Noise comments will continue to be made as to how good the shot or camera is. I differ on the "noise" comments on pictures like these. "Noise" like film grain is not a bad thing.

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 12:04 AM   #6
Super Moderator

i think it is a good capture.. the bird is a tad hot.. but thats ok.. the rest of the exposure is great.. all in all, good hummer

if i were you, i would turn off my in-camera sharpening and do it later.. you will have much better control over artifacts and haloing.. but i really don't find this one to be all that bad.. its not alot of color noise, so its more akin to film grain as was mentioned above..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 2:15 PM   #7

I am not that big of an expert, but that is what I am here to learn :-) using my eyes this photo is really good. Good work.
DigiTal is offline   Reply With Quote