Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jul 15, 2005, 10:59 PM   #1

Okay I am trying to round up a series to enter in the County Fair, and I am not really coming up with much. (If anyone has any ideas PLEASE suggest!)

Here is what I've got, I just took them in my garage of my dog waiting for my mom to come home. All manual settings and I had my macro lens on and usually was going for a shallow DOF. Thanks girls/guys!

Photo 1 of 3

Photo 2 of 3

Photo 3 of 3

I was trying to capture from different angles but I may have your normal/boring dog photos, maybe they are good, please let me know what you think and be honest because you can't expect me to improve without contructive criticism! Thanks in advance.
discodudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2005, 11:57 PM   #2

Amy, I'm hoping you have some time before the deadline rolls around. Focus could be sharper, lighting could be better, not to mention the weak contrast. And the last one of the series is a real head scratcher. W H A T were you thinking girl? You've done better. I know from seeing past posts you have an imagination. And you've got a super camera. Go shoot some more and lets see some pizzaz! Best regards, happy trails...

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 12:24 AM   #3
Super Moderator

i am going to have to agree.. #1 is too soft and composition is a little off.. #3 i am not sure whats goin on there..

but #2.. now that has some promise.. but its just not quite there.. as mentioned a little contrast and mb some toning would help.. and mess with the composition a little on this, its just not quite right.. what is in focus is a little soft too..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 1:05 AM   #4

Thanks guys for putting it bluntly. Personally I like the 3rd of te series the most, (but that's probably cause I know what's going on!). You guys are right, the focus is off, I think I have to retune that little thing on my camera that gets it sharp, because when I was taking them they looked quite sharp to me. Hopefully I will get out tomorrow and will be able to take some better photographs that you guys approve of! :blah:

Thanks for the critiques and I will hopefully have some new photographs tomorrow.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 1:15 AM   #5
Super Moderator

be careful of motion blur.. which is apparant in #1 and #3 and the cause of the softness...

and good luck.. look forward to seein round #2
Old Jul 16, 2005, 1:30 AM   #6

Yeah it was intentional, plus I didn't have much light to work with. But thank you I will watch out for it
Old Jul 16, 2005, 5:12 AM   #7

I think the Idea is very good, I would go for the feet, then perhaps an Eye shot then the whole dog to round off what people will be looking at, perhaps a series of 4 including anotherclose upshot of part of the dogs body. What camera were you using? they do appear a little soft and out of focus, do you use auto focus? If it is anything like my camera (rebel) I would try avoiding the macro and shoot in AV mode choose an F stop that suits (do some tests) and let the camera do the rest. Keep going, it's a good Idea that Im sure you will get good shots for.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 12:42 PM   #8

First off i have to say i like the dog :-).

The first shot i like, but as others have said it could do with being sharper.

I like the idea behind the second shot, although i would have focused on the other paw.

I take it the third shot was either a bouncing ball about to be caught or just a ball being picked up?, if the latter then i would have liked to have seen the movement of the dog with the ball being pin sharp (if thats possible?).

Just a few ideas, give the dog a stoke/pet from me.

Alan :-)
AlanV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 1:24 PM   #9

I am going against the grain here on the comments.

I like the subject and the composition of all three shots.

The second one is unusual which I like.

The third one had me look at it for more than the courtesy 2 seconds and I figured out what it is. It really was not that hard.

Being black and white I don't find that it necessarily needs to be all that sharp.

Contrast is more what I believe makes a black and white. Only my opinion as that is what this board is for.

Looking at the shots from a distance from my monitor gives me a better overall view and impression of what I am viewing.

Nice dog and a lucky one at that.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 1:54 PM   #10
Super Moderator

i think since its black and white, it needs to be sharper if anything... besides contrast.. black and white is about texture and form.. without sharpness, you lose the texture of the hair and thus a vital part of the dog..