Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jul 30, 2005, 11:08 PM   #1

Hi. I've beenbrowsing through this website for a quite long time now, but this is my first post.I have a picture that I want your opinions on it. I'm trying to learn from the basics. I hope to be able to acquire the skills that most of you have. The picture below is taken with Sony DSC-F717.Please let me know!

killercalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 31, 2005, 12:35 AM   #2
Super Moderator

i like the idea of the lone person walking down the tracks.. and i like that it is presented in mono.. so you definately got a good start here.. but as is, he is just too far away to be the main interest and i think he should be.. i would walk up to say that first pole and shoot from there down that alley made between the telephone poles and the trees with the tracks leading the eye to your subject... nice first effort and i look forward to tracking your progress...

best regards and thanks for sharing!

dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2005, 10:18 AM   #3

Thanks for your opinion! Whenever I took the picture I thought it was good.But now that you have pointed outthat the person being far away, I wish I had realized that :sad: Like you said, then I think this picture would be more interesting.

The advice you gave me, is that something that comes with taking pictures over and over (say, skills learned) or is it a natural thing (something you already have)?
Old Jul 31, 2005, 12:10 PM   #4
Super Moderator

some ppl just naturally have it and it doesn't take long... others have to learn by looking at other ppls work and figuring it out and by having their work critiqued.. and for most, its a bit of both...

the best way to learn is to take a shot.. examine it and see what you like and don't like.. have a few other ppl examine it (preferrably those with at least a little experience) and tell you what they like and don't like.. and then go reshoot with these suggestions..

then take a different type of picture and repeat the process..

and all along be critiquing other ppls work to see what you like and don't like and read the comments others have made..

these things will go along way in helping you develop an eye..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2005, 1:45 PM   #5

i agree with the points dustin made. i also think there are some nice elements to this shot. i like the lines of the railroad tracks, the trees on the left vs. the telephone poles off center and more trees on the right. i like the car on the left facing us balanced by the car on the right closer and facing away. it really just lacks that focal point, the figure. nice effort though.
julies517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2005, 4:39 PM   #6

Thanks for your opinion. This forum is great for person like me (just started to take pictures). Without opinions like your's, I could take ages to figure out what makes a better picture
Old Jul 31, 2005, 8:13 PM   #7

I like the shot, and could probably have worked without the person in the picture.

Keep up the good work!
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2005, 10:54 AM   #8

I happen to like the lines created by the tracks. They are what first hit me, not the individual on the track. The image evokes romanticism probably because of the tracks and the trees. But then i do live a a dream world.

In my case, i would probably crop a little tighter and work with the levels.
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2005, 11:57 PM   #9

Thanks for the opinions!

nlp239: What do you mean by "work with the levels"? :? Could you explain that to me if you don't mind?
Old Aug 3, 2005, 12:38 AM   #10

I definitely think you are on the right track here. (oops that's a really bad pun... sorry) The concept is interesting and the choice of B/W is a good one. I agree that the subject is too small for this shot,though.

You are in an interesting dilemma in your composition. The tracks are (probably) essential to your shot, but that places the person who is the subject of the photograph too far away. If you wait until he is closer, it may destroy the dynamic impact of the shot.

I'm not familiar with your camera, but if it has zoom capabilities, you may have a solution in your hands. Zoom lenses have the effect of compressing the apparent distanceof objects in front of your lens. You may have to actually move back from your scene, so that when you zoom in the tracks are still in the same position. When you zoom in, you may be able to bring the subject closer while still maintaining a sense of distance.

Welcome to the forums. There are no stupid questions around here. (I've used them all up) Keep experimenting and post lots of pictures.

Cheers,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com

By the way, Is that shot from New Orleans?
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote