Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Aug 1, 2005, 12:14 PM   #1

This shot is 100% out of the camera. Suggestions for anything would be welcome. Brutal honesty would even be more welcome. I think I will clean the debris in the water with PS if I get the time.

Also, how do you make the nice borders I have seen in some posts. The easy way.

Thanks
Attached Images

Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 1, 2005, 4:12 PM   #2
Super Moderator

i like the idea here alot, and i thinks its a pretty good attempt.. the problem is with the shallow water, the reflection is a bit vague.. nothing you can do about that really..

you might try cleaning it up a bit and then converting to black and white.. then playing with the levels adjustment until you get the contrast you want..

nice work and thanks for sharing.. dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2005, 9:58 PM   #3

I like the vague reflection since it had me look at it for a while and just enjoying the different directions the branches were going in a natural frame.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2005, 3:08 PM   #4

Potential is there, but not quite a remarkable result. Contrast, color saturation and focus might make this betterif they weren't as weak as they are here. It's understood of course, that these elements may be as good as they could be under the conditions. Good eye for subject matter, and nice composition. Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2005, 3:59 PM   #5

I think it's a nice shot. I think some contrast and saturation adjustment would helpa lot.

To make the simple borders in PS, go to Image > Canvas Size

change the measure units to pixels and choose White as the background color. Then type in the number of pixels in each box. I usually put somewhere between 15 and 30 depending, the same number in each box, though...although some people prefer them to not be even.

That's the basics, play with it, you can expand hte canvas several times using different colors and make a layered effect. Then you can play with glows and dropshadows for them.
G35Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2005, 8:53 PM   #6

I hope you don't mind that I messed around with your image. this is levels-adjusted, contrast-enhanced and converted to B/W. The border is very much the way G35Guy suggested. I added a 7 pixel border in background white, then used the eye-dropper to select an appropriate grey from the image. I then increased the canvas size by 1 inch using this grey.

Cheers,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com

Oh, yeah, I rotated the image 180 degrees. :-)
Attached Images

Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2005, 3:10 AM   #7

Thanks for the comments and advice, and the edit! The edit is not 100% what I want from the photo, but it sure gave me some nice ideas. And it looks better than my first attempt.
Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2005, 3:25 AM   #8
Super Moderator

I think it's one of those shots you'll never be really happy with, because there's just not quite enough interest in the shot.

But it's a great one for experimenting with - so many photoshop options.

This is what immediately occurred to me when I saw it.

Attached Images

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2005, 3:37 AM   #9

As your asking for honesty, then I have to say its a bit boring. Reflections can work well but the subject has to have high interest, which this for mehas not. The contrast and colouring is also bland.

As mentioned you could work with it if you have time to burn. But without offense intended I would say - try again on something else.

Mat's- I havent done alot of stuff with this. I generally use different variations of increase canvas size in photoshop. Sometimes adding a thin black outline of a few pixels first followed by the main frame which I colour with a non distracting shade usually borrowed from the photo itself. Remember to work with a different layer for each band of the frame - that way you can easily experiment and change colours. If you see good examples, save them and try to replicate them on your photos. You'll quickly find its a quick and easy job.

LB
LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote