Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Aug 3, 2005, 12:32 PM   #1

We were on vacation last week in Bar Harbor Maine. Spent most of the time in Acadia National Park. Of the 400+ photos I took, this one caught my eye and I'd like your openions, please.

The one thing that bothers me is the jet contrail high in the sky. I'm not sure if I should try and remove it or not. Suggestions? Does it need any other work?

Thanx,
Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 3, 2005, 1:33 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Ron-

this is definately a winner in my book.. the composition is spot on with good foreground and a level horizon. the colors are saturated but not overdone. the sky could be smidgin bluer, but still looks good.the exposure isgood. imight have exposed the whole seen maybe -1/3 EV, but thats just my personal preference and is not technically better. the jet trail doesn't bother me, reminds us all that its the 21st century.

great pic ron and i look forward to seeing some more from your vacation.

best regards, dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 4:34 PM   #3

This shot is beautiful! I didnt even notice the jet trail until I read your comment.
The only thing i could dig up to mention would be the darkness in the bottom left. It appears to be a natural shadow, but it catches my eye a little bit because it dosent (flow?) with the rest of the shot.
doggod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 5:17 PM   #4

great shot, i see the shadow you're talking about, it does look like it's from the rock there . great depth in the water, wow. did you use a polarizing filter on this? whatever you did, great job. also, what kind of camera/lens was this taken with? thanks.

jon rowe
jedmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 6:08 PM   #5

If you are concerned about the dark area in the lower left, a simple contrast mask or dodge/burn layer can bring out those details. Thirty seconds work and the whole left side is balanced with the right. Me, I like the dark-to light thing, so I wouldn't change a thing.

And as far as jet trails go, they have been a part of the skyscape all my life. You wouldn't want to erase a highway or train tracks, would you?

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com

Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 6:22 PM   #6
Super Moderator

the dark spot really doesn't bother me too much.. but i agree, 30 seconds and it could be fixed..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 7:30 PM   #7

I found peace within myself looking at this.

Not a thing need to done with this except to be printed and put up in someones living room.

Mine.

This photo has impact for me and I find serenity and peace within it.

Mahalo,

Tom
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 9:51 PM   #8

the dark area and the contrail don't bother me, i think this is lovely....wish i were there .
julies517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 9:52 PM   #9

Thanx all for the comments.

Dustin, I always appreciate your comment on any photo i view - thanx.

doggod, thanx, I may play with it later, but I'm trying to get through the other photos from this trip. All I can do now is a very quick edit and move on. Coming to Steves is my "break".

Jon, 20D with a Sigma 24-70 Macro and, yes, I used a polarizer.

Tom, thanx - I find your comments on any photos here useful.

vIZnquest, I am humbled by your comments - thanx

Geez, not sure how to follow this one - when I looked through the viewfinder I thought it had the most potential of all the shots I took.

Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2005, 2:19 PM   #10

surfnron, I wentto Bar Harbor and Acadia awhile back. At the time, I only had the "brand new exciting digital camerafeature!" on my camcorder so the shots I have are about 1 megapixel at best! lol, I'll have to find them somewhere!

I love the shot!It brought back a LOT of memories!!!

I think I know where you took this from, but I might be wrong. was the pond kind of along the side of a road? I remember seeing a VERY simliar sight as I was driving along and we stopped the car to get out and enjoy it for a bit!

Nice work!

smilez03 is offline   Reply With Quote