Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Aug 4, 2005, 3:06 AM   #1

i dont know if you'd consider this a sunrise picture but i took it at about 9 oclock AM. I added the bar in the middle just because i got the feeling to during post processing on it. i had originally put it there to cover up some glare that occured but i sort of like the way it looks, kind of a divider between earthly things and the life-giving source, the sun. maybe that's makin it a little too poetic/deep, but whatever.

-Michael-
www.pbase.com/mikej86

johnsonM86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2005, 10:14 PM   #2

I don't know. I think the colors...the white and blue are great, i thught the picture loaded funny maybe when i saw the bar...that might just be methough, it looks like it should be a painting.
Differant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 10:33 PM   #3

I dunno if I'd like it better w/o the bar or not.....
In the bar's favor though, it makes you stop and look. Most anything that makes someone stop and look at a picture can't be all bad.
Don't worry about being poetic/deep. If the shot says something to you, chances are that it'll say something to others, too. It's the pix that don't say anything that get ignored.
Anyway, isn't photography supposed to be an art? One of the major components of art is interpretation. If two people looking at the same picture argue over what it means, it's art.
Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2005, 12:01 AM   #4

i agree with your point of view grant. that's the problem with art though, it's subjectivity, which makes arguments about merit and worth useless. The worth and merit of a piece of art is gauged in ones appreciation of it, which obviously varies among all people.

-Michael-
www.pbase.com/mikej86
Old Aug 5, 2005, 1:33 AM   #5
Super Moderator

actually i find the sun to be distracting.. i like the slightly haloed look of the bottom half of the picture.. to me.. the bottom part is a nice panoramic silhouette in its own right.. i would just crop off the top and let it be on its own..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2005, 1:36 AM   #6
Super Moderator

here is a quick edit.. i added a thin border to seperate the black.. converted to mono and added a bit of tone.. thought it looked kinda cool..
Attached Images

Old Aug 5, 2005, 2:22 AM   #7

Sorry Hards I don't think the edit is an improvement in this case. Yes I agree the bottom (original) is a nice image on its own.

Johnson,

The original concept with the bar or separator doesn't work for me as a photograph on its own. However the concept might well work as two individual photographs when presented framed with the correctly shaped pas par tou all around and traveling through the middle.

Anyway good stuff. I like original work and thinking like this.

LB
LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2005, 2:42 AM   #8
Super Moderator

yea.. i agree.. the first versions better.. oh well, you win some, you lose some.. all that matters is you learn something..
Old Aug 5, 2005, 8:10 AM   #9

thanks guys, i had a notion most of you would not like the black bar. i like your idea "LB" about the framing, good thought. I also think it would be a nice picture with just the panoramic bottom half Dustin. Thanks for the response, i was very interested in how this one would be recieved.

-Michael-
www.pbase.com/mikej86