Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Aug 8, 2005, 11:42 AM   #1

This is the first image I've made in b/w with my digicam. I like the image, bit it's lacking something. I used to do b/w film a lot many years ago and I'm just not superhappy with this. It seems to be lacking something that b/w film imparts to a shot.

What should I be doing when converting images from full color to b/w? For this shot, all I did was use the desaturate feature in photoshop.
Attached Images

G35Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 8, 2005, 3:07 PM   #2
Super Moderator

g35,

the desaturate feature in photoshop is the worst way to convert.. it will leave you with flat/dull images that lack any punch whatsoever.. there are better ways..

option 1- use a photoshop plugin. i use B&W Workflow Pro from fredmiranda.com, it allows me to simulate certain filters commonly used with mono film and allows me to mess with the individual color channels to create darker skies and increased contrast. also allows you to tri/quadtone, etc.. afterwords i just play with curves and levels to tweak.

option 2- you can do all the same things manually in photoshop by mastering the channel mixer and curves and levels.. its not difficult per se but does take some practice.. basically do a adjustments layer "hue/saturation"... drop your saturation down to 0% and then go to your channel mixer and move the color channels around until they look good.. usually bumping up the red channel is a good place to start.. end with a good curves/level adjustment to get truer black and white points..

ok for this picture.. watch your background.. the chainlink is really distracting here.. also the lack of eye contact lessens the impact of this shot.. eye contact is not always necessary, but without it this shot lacks a good focal point..

best regards,

dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2005, 3:21 PM   #3

Yes, that's it exactly...it just looks flat and dull. I'll definitely look into those other methods, 'cause if I'm ever going to be happy with b/w on digital I need to find a better way of converting them.

I agree on the chain link, but I do like the profile, especially of this dog; her tall, long andthin body really does look better from the side. I could probably crop a little more off the right side of the picture, too.
G35Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2005, 6:00 PM   #4

Slightly different crop
Attached Images

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2005, 6:01 PM   #5

Slightly different crop
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote