Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Aug 8, 2005, 10:43 PM   #1

My neighbors just finished landscaping their front yard and they wanted me to take a picture of it at night when it was all lit up. Unfortunately, I don't think the picture turned out very good - which is why I'm posting it here. Any ideas on what I can do to make this turn out better? Thanks in advance!

Melissa (www.mkklein.smugmug.com)

Attached Images

ride16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 8, 2005, 11:22 PM   #2
Super Moderator

that is a very tough shot.. its simply not going to work in the pitch black night.. too much light difference btwn lights and the sky.. i would reshoot at dusk or dawn so the lights are still on but the sky is bright enough to illuminate the scene.. also a starburst filter would look pretty cool with that shot..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2005, 9:27 AM   #3

here's a tip,

night shooting.

Wait till the moment your eyes feel the sky moves betweendark blue to just about darkness. Use this 20 min period to take you shot. Shoot between 5 to 20 sec exposure (on tripod of course) f8-22.

Will give you a deep dark blue night sky that is a nice contrast to ground subjects. Plus all lights will be on but not seemingly too bright.

Personally I don't like night shots with black skies. Plus the contrast difference is difficult to pull off.

Experiment.

LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2005, 2:47 PM   #4

Thanks for the tips, Hards and Lboy! It's pouring rain out right now, but hopefully I'll get a good night sometime soon and be able to try it out again.

Ride16 (www.mkklein.smugmug.com)
Old Aug 11, 2005, 8:18 AM   #5

Tell your neighbours they did a fine job with that garden, though. Very nice work.

Actually, I somewhat like the shot as it is - although the tips above would be helpful to improve on it. The light in the foreground is overbearing.

S.K.
SilentKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2005, 3:16 AM   #6

ok heres a couple of examples ride16. Ok it is a different kind of shot but the principles apply. Also my shots have been pumped up in contrast and saturation cos I wanted that look.

But as I have said unless your taking shots of fireworks, the blue night sky is what you should aim for. Depending on your fore and aft detail select the appropriate aperture- between f8 and oh f22. put the camera in app priority. ISO 100. Camera on a Tripod of course. Turn the dial till the camera indicates 1 stop below what it thinks is perfect exposure. Ok the time will be showing anything from 4 to 10 seconds depending on the time of night. Like I say you want to be aiming for when the sky to your eyes has moved from blue to almost black. You can continue shooting for the next 30 min plus or minus 30 min depending on the time of year. However as the sky darkens you will have to adjust the dial to bring it back up to the 1 stop under position. In doing so the shutter time will be getting longer each time. Hope this is all understandable. Its really very easy stuff this. (use remote release or shutter timer so you don't vibrate the camera.) (mirror lock also if your very particular.)

Good luck.
Attached Images

Old Aug 17, 2005, 3:19 AM   #7

no#2
Attached Images

Old Aug 28, 2005, 7:56 PM   #8

Great shots, LBoy - thanks for the examples!
Old Sep 5, 2005, 8:24 AM   #9

Tripod and remot release is very helpful
vindolanda is offline   Reply With Quote