Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Aug 10, 2005, 9:10 PM   #1
Super Moderator

well, the conditions were pretty bad for waterscapes this weekend.. not a cloud in the sky.. but i did my best to make the most of it.. so i guess you can call this my attempt to make someting out of nothing..

comments and critiques always welcome..
Attached Images

Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2005, 11:57 PM   #2

I had the same problem trying to take some sunset shots last week, but yours look much better than mine! It's definately hard when there's not a cloud in sight.
ride16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 12:59 AM   #3

Image works well,
proves you don't always have to have clouds in the sky to get it to look good.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 9:13 AM   #4

Leaning slightly left. Some of that may be an illusion caused by the dividing line between the base of the trees and the reflection. Theres also something about that dividing area that seems off to me but I can't pinpoint it.

Looks like you need to blow the sensor off or check your lens. There are a couple spots very visible and a few more if you look closer.

Still a good shot for what you were working with.
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 10:48 AM   #5

Is that a dead body in the water...:blah:

Either way I would way crop this from the bottom upto remove this. Has no benefit to the shot.

Quite like this apart from that.

On second thoughts, might be better to edit it out.... as I like the aspect ratio on this one.

dustin, is this log special to you ?

LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 12:22 PM   #6
Super Moderator

haha.. no dead bodies.. though on another forum someone thought it looked like a femur.. not sure where that came from.. :lol:

the log is simply an attempt to find some sort of foreground, which was quite scarce on this lake.. i do have a couple using just the weeds that might work better.. i myself went back and forth on the crop on this, buti think it needs something in the foreground, when i crop it out, it looks a little empty..i will post one with just the weeds and no log later on..

thanks for the comments and best regards, - dustin
Old Aug 12, 2005, 3:15 AM   #7

Then get in the water yourself, with just your head sticking out..... that would look interesting. Could you manage that in10 secs ?

:blah:

I would be interested to see it simplified.... The silhouette horizon has a fair bit of interest but you may be right.

Actually I'm looking at it scrolled down on my screen which effectively crops the log out. And to me it looks good. Horizon sitting in the top third of the shot. Looks balanced and serene.

LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 3:39 AM   #8

I like the log in the foreground. Dont have any technical reason. I just think the foreground will look rather empty without it. Itis the difference between a "normal" sunset shot, and one that brings a something extra with it.
Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 4:17 AM   #9

After comparing this and your other edit, I came to the conclusion that I dont like the shape of this one as much. Its almost square. I think it would look better if it was taller. To pull that of and keep the general composition, you might have to crop a little of the log, and that may ruin the pic.

But that is just a very minor issue, I only thought about it when comparing it to the other one.
Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 11:56 AM   #10
Super Moderator

sorry LB.. not a chance i am getting in that lake.. crystal clear it was not.. :G

thanks for the comments everyone, here is a cropped version..

-dustin
Attached Images