Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Aug 15, 2005, 11:53 AM   #11
Super Moderator

LBoy wrote:
Quote:
Just one final thing to bear in mind if you find time to give this a go, is my reasoning why the style stands out as pleasing. The reason is because it's unusual to your eyes. Have you noticed, but the focal plane is perceived to run from the girl's head to the family of three along the wall to the guy at the left hand pillar in the distance. In other words not parallel to your sensor. Of course in each individual frame the focal plain is parallel, but when stitched, the various positions of focus changes the photographs appearance. It's strange to see the out of focus areas (like the hooded girl, the man in the booth and woman with umbrella) in front of, and behind other in-focus features. I think this aids in giving a 3 dimensional and true to life visual appearance.

i think this is a good reasoning for the 3-dimensional appeal of this shot... this is also one of the first examples i have seen of this type of technique, as this is actually the first stitched panoramic i have seen other than land/cityscapes, and they are pretty sharp throughout and do not exhibit this trait..

i can definately see uses for this in many street scenes.. with the selective focal planes of each shot hightlighting interesting people and objects, especially if they are interacting in some manner, maybe even using a more open aperture to really emphasize the selected subjects, though that may make the stitch nigh impossible..

thanks for sharing this unique technique, and for your lengthy explanations and replies, i think we have all learned something and have added another tool to the old playbook!

regards, -dustin

btw- i really think you can go either way on the crop on #1.. thats what is tough about even mentioning a crop when critiquing, unless its painfully obvious, is that cropping can be so subjective and influenced by personal tastes and biases..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 9:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Well I'm not really sure what you mean by much of this... claustrophobia???
I feel a bit locked up in the picture. I think it is a matter of cropping as discussed between you and Dustin, but I couldn't express it technically. Just wanted to say I liked the work.

Quote:
very cool avatar
Thanks.

polarwasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2005, 10:20 AM   #13

Quote:
i think this is a good reasoning for the 3-dimensional appeal of this shot... this is also one of the first examples i have seen of this type of technique, as this is actually the first stitched panoramic i have seen other than land/cityscapes, and they are pretty sharp throughout and do not exhibit this trait..
Well I haven't seen this being implementedbefore either, but I cant believe that it wouldn't be something others somewhere haven't experimented with at some point in time.

Still maybe I should have kept more quiet, taken 20 more shots and wrote a book ..haha
LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2005, 3:54 PM   #14
Super Moderator

don't let your million-dollar idea slip through your fingers...

i can just see it now "Street Panoramics for Dummies" by L.B. :-)
Old Aug 18, 2005, 4:00 AM   #15

I see the first sentence ... "Buy L!!" :blah:
Old Aug 18, 2005, 5:29 AM   #16

Polarwasp,

You took the words right outta my mouth..... so glad you all finally getting the message.....

ASigma is only half way between heaven and L....

:lol::-):lol::G

LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2005, 9:21 AM   #17
Super Moderator

now how did we end up on this again.. :?:blah:
Old Aug 18, 2005, 9:41 AM   #18

guilty

but at least it was with a smile this time :lol:!