Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Aug 12, 2005, 5:41 AM   #1

Hi,
Here's something a bit different to spice up your street photography. There's not always stuff around that you think is of high interest. Maybe is dull or raining. However in this aspect ratio, I think an everyday scene can be spiced up somewhat. Anyway its nothing new and I've tried this stuff before but was wondering what you think and if maybe you've had a go at this yourself. Just any general street scene but taken at various locations and stitched together.

The idea on a busy street is to wait at each frame till there is someone in the centre only and not passing through the edge. (that way it will stitch together nicely and you wont have half bodies everywhere). It helps if you have a tripod, though in this case I handheld. Tripods I try to avoid if possible hence my liking of fast lenses (for those who didn't know :blah

Anyway it killed the few minutes when was waiting to get my Kebab hahaha, and was a bit of fun too. Now as I scroll around the lighting is changing but no worries I'll come to that later. Another problem when lighting is low and using a large aperture is that at each point you focus, if it is at a different distance from the previous shot, the background/foreground will have differing out of focus, making the final stitch poor. This is just something you have to learn to try to avoid and pick your points of focus selectively. (This is not normally a problem on pano's when you shoot with small apertures or at infinity with landscapes for example). But it doesn't have to be perfect, due to the high pixel count and the fantastic software out there at the moment, the process can be quite forgiving. There are 5 frames in the first and 6 in the second shot. Just something extra to note - I'm standing in the exactly same position for both shots. The first is 90 while the second 180 degrees, but differing focal lengths. The guy under the Cokesign is in both photographs. Total time about 4 min for... oh maybe30 frames. Some frames I doubled, then I selected the best and most conducive for the composition and stitch.

I know I should only post one photograph at a time but these are related and I don't want to take up 4 threads, so please forgive me. For both shots here the light was poor, so for the firstI'm on a 50mm 1.4 at 1.8 aperture priority. I like this shot the most due to the fore, (to the right), and background interest (to the left). Plus its bright and warm. The second shot I wanted to go wider so changed to a 24mm but can now relax tof4 and still achieve enough speed to handhold.. Due to the 180 degrees of this shot, the narrow passageway has been distorted nicely to produce this boomerang visual from left to right. I took these shots in raw and quickly adjusted each shot to approximately a similar temperature. I wont lie there is a bit of work involved in producing these well – 1 to 4 hours post processing depending on how lucky you are with the stitch.

Sorry for such a long rant. Anyway the kebab was real good. :-)

shot #1

Attached Images

LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2005, 5:42 AM   #2

shot #2
Attached Images

Old Aug 12, 2005, 6:01 AM   #3

shot #1 Black and white
Attached Images

Old Aug 12, 2005, 6:01 AM   #4

shot #2 Black and white
Attached Images

Old Aug 12, 2005, 8:22 AM   #5

LBoy, as each of your post with pics, this is inspiring!You make a lot of a common (dull?) place!

Purely based on feeling:

In the first stich, the ceiling lamp line disapearing halfway through the picture gives me a bit of claustrophobia. Also the cut Coke sign.

In the second, the ceiling lamps (again) on the far right are a bit breaking the rythm of the picture... or was it on purpose?

my 0.01€
polarwasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 8:58 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Hot stuff Lboy.

#1 colour & bw both work, but for #2 the colour is much better.

I am now officially inspired to stitch together something I've been meaning to do for a while.

Not quite the same but I'll post it if it turns out ok. :-)

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 10:02 AM   #7

First one is a great shot in both color and b/w.

The second shot I'm not so fond of. For me, my eyes keep bouncing back and forth from one corridor to the next and In ever found any kind of focal point, so it was a bit stressful on the eyes.
G35Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 10:14 AM   #8

The first shot gets my vote as well. The corridor on the left flows quite naturally into the more intimate scene on the right. The second is kind of like a magician showing how he does his tricks. It looks great, but the warping of the overhead lights gives it away. Pretty minor complaint, though.

Cheers,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com

Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 12:12 PM   #9
Super Moderator

LB-

love shot #1... to me the two girls on the right serve as a very nice anchor and then the corridor "flowing" off to the left naturally trails away... superb shot.. and i actually like it in color.. which is odd because i am a big fan of mono alot of times.. the only thing i would do with this shot is crop it on the right just after the slushy machine and then crop off the bit of the burger king sign on the left.. i think that would clean it up just a bit while keeping the nice panoramic aspect ratio..

i really like the distortion on shot #2, but for me it lacks the natural visual anchor and personal appeal of the first shot..

thanks for the inspirtation, we have a few little festivals going on here in the next month that i was planning on visiting to do a little street work, i may give this technique a try.. though i am not really all that enthused about 1-4 hours of post-process :O

thanks for sharing... good work!

-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2005, 10:03 AM   #10

Thanks Polar for the nice remarks. Glad you saw some inspiration.
Well I'm not really sure what you mean by much of this... claustrophobia??? I can only imagine it's because you're a ...... wasp .. maybe? :G:lol:
Ps. very cool avatar....

Peripatetic,

Thanks again. Looking forwards to seeing what you have in mind.

G35Guy/Tom,

Yes I agree. I posted them in my order of preference and am glad to hear that my instinct of the better ones was close. Sometimes it's easy to loose objectivity after looking at our own stuff for too long.

The first shot is the one I was after and having passed this way on occasion without having time to stop, I had been thinking about how I wanted to capture it. Although being 5 shots stitched, due to the angle of shot, focal length and only being through about 90 degrees, the normal distortion from the stitching process is not apparent on this one. And while sometimes I like the 180 degrees distortion apparent in panoramic photography, I agree with how you put it ...a little like a magic trick.

Thanks for the comments.

Hards,

Glad you like the first one too. There were a number of options I had when cropping this. This is a scene in a very busy, cluttered almost chaotic part of the city. I thought better for me to keep it busy. The half BK, Coke and chicken signs do add clutter, but also an insight into the fast food lifestyle of a busy city and what is happening in this scene. There no real way for me to clean up this photograph if you are looking to remove distractions, there are way to many. I think that the point really with panos. You can get away with it as in this case and others. You want the viewer to have a visual picnic as they move from one side to the other.

Another reason for leaving probably the least interesting right hand part of this photograph ‘in', is because it positions and isolates the most interesting feature of the photograph i.e. the girl sitting in the very shallow DOF.

Anyway haha, don't you hate it when a person critiques their own work and tries to explain away everything others suggest.... Sorry bout that Hards.

Just one final thing to bear in mind if you find time to give this a go, is my reasoning why the style stands out as pleasing. The reason is because it's unusual to your eyes. Have you noticed, but the focal plane is perceived to run from the girl's head to the family of three along the wall to the guy at the left hand pillar in the distance. In other words not parallel to your sensor. Of course in each individual frame the focal plain is parallel, but when stitched, the various positions of focus changes the photographs appearance. It's strange to see the out of focus areas (like the hooded girl, the man in the booth and woman with umbrella) in front of, and behind other in-focus features. I think this aids in giving a 3 dimensional and true to life visual appearance.

Ok that all. Take care

LB.

Edit - on further review your crop suggestion Hards is not bad... Gives a different feel but doesn't effect the girls position in a detrimental way due to cutting on both side. Yip something to consider if I frame this one .... thanks.