Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Aug 15, 2005, 2:39 PM   #1

This photo has been one of my favortites. I would appreciate any points to grow you can give me. One question I always seem to struggle over, where the best place is to crop it on the left. What do you suggest?
Attached Images

freidaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 15, 2005, 3:59 PM   #2

I played with this photo a little, and as for the cropping, its pretty good. If you crop it much more it ends up looking like the dogs head is floating into the frame.

My personal opinion is that this photo looks much better in grayscale. The orange shirt, and other colors are pretty distracting, and with them gone, it is a very nice shot.
doggod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2005, 5:28 PM   #3

Thanks for the comments! You know I never tried Black and White with it. I'm going to try right now! Thanks again!
Old Aug 15, 2005, 6:14 PM   #4
Super Moderator

the biggest hints i can give you is watch your shadows.. there is heavy shadow under the hat and also in the dog's face.. definately not where you want them, since they are what is supposed to be the main elements in the image.. if the eye contact is the main element here, i would have filled the frame with these elements.. right now, there is just too much going on to distract you from the purpose of the image..

next time, get in closer, use some fill flash if necessary to help fill in the shadows, and play around with a mono conversion..

best regards, -dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2005, 5:05 PM   #5

Your right, the shadows don't help tell the story. Thanks for the points to grow!
Old Aug 24, 2005, 7:08 PM   #6

I have
  • leveled the horizon [/*]
  • burred the background[/*]
  • lifted the shadows a litle bit[/*]
  • sharppened a bit[/*]
  • cropped ittighter[/*]
Attached Images

gwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2005, 7:32 PM   #7

That's great! You know I never noticed the horizon was so far off. I did think the people in the background were distracting and the way you blured them really helps bring the focus to the eyes.* I think you cropped it just right but all of a sudden it seems like her arm is bigger? The lightened shadows helps a lot. Now that I look even closer at the picture I wonder if they 'are' having eye contact? Maybe I should have named it something different? Or may get the camera out again! Great info and I appreciated the lessons you have shared with me today! Thanks......Freida