Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Aug 15, 2005, 2:58 PM   #1
Super Moderator

OK, so doing a proper job on this lot would take me hours and hours. Perhaps I'll be inspired enough one day.

I took these shots as part of an assignment for my "Art of the Snapshot" course I did recently at Central St Martins College of Art and Design.

This was the sequence/edit the group decided on for my shots.

I posted one of them at the time, but never got around to stiching because I knew it was going to be really hard work. I haven't adjusted the WB, levels, contrast, etc on each individual shot before stiching or done a neat job because it's going to use up a lot of time and my laptop is really not up to building the 500Mb+ file I'll need to do a pukka job.

Anyway - enough waffle. Here's the pic. It's supposed to be dynamic and chaotic; the subject was the skaters at the South Bank Centre.

[Edit] It looks like it's too wide to display in-situ, make sure to click the magnify button to get the full thing in your browser.

On reflection I think I might go back one day and give Lboy's technique a try at this location - it would work ever so much better. :-)
Attached Images

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2005, 1:37 AM   #2
Super Moderator

this doesn't flow for me.. i would have liked to see them sequenced as if it were happening.. so approaching ramp->off ramp-> other side of ramp.. you can go ahead and alternate skaters, that is fine, but keep the sequence together.. also, the person walking into the middle frame is distracting and disturbing to the sequence..

thanks for sharing and best regards, -dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 3:32 AM   #3

There is potential here for all sorts of stuff. Firstly I accept that time constraints have restricted your level of refinement on this.

Let me say that you could drastically downsize the individual shots to make the computer and work, -flow a bit faster. It shouldn't hinder the final outcome too much.

Ok my opinion.

Try to decide from the start if you are going to produce something that the eye sees realistically of if you are going down a more abstract road. When this is decided, make it very obvious. Here I think the style is undecided. With your shots i think you could make a very good abstract pano. It needs to be more drastic. Lay the photo over each other, have differing focal lengths to add impact. Cut away the black dead areas. Something very long like this is going to make life very difficult for your hard work to be appreciated. Unless you have a distinct area in mind where a long pano like this will fit. There are places. ie along the top of a web page, certain types of advertisement. Who knows even in a child room or club house.... as a poster. Remember something like this is almost impossible to frame. A pano length of 4 or 5x the hight max is a good gauge to stick to.

If you are going for realism then as you have mentioned you may have to re-shoot this with thought of the final pano in mind.

It gets easier each time you try this kind of stuff, so have another go when time allows.

take care.

LB

LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 3:51 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Lboy,

Thanks for the encouragement.

The down-rezzing I had to do even to get that pano posted pretty much makes it lose all the detail and impact it had.

The problem I had was basically that I wasn't sure that the project would be worth it from the source material I had. When I originally took the photos I didn't have a pano in mind, that was something that came later when reviewing the prints and we realised that the graffiti "strip" created a kind of visual link between the images.

Having said that it was meant to be more "chaotic" and abstract rather than careful and planned. My tutor said that my careful and planned stuff was generally pretty good and he was encouraging me to be less technical and more creative, particularly with sequences rather than individual images.

I do think that your technique would work fantastically well in the same location though.

As for printing I reckon I have an Epsom R800 wich is A4 restricted, but it is possible to get A4 rolls for panoramas which would allow A4 height by pretty long.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 6:09 AM   #5

Peri,

The moment I saw this image(s) I thought it was something belonging on a Art Museum's wall. Then I read it was done for Art and Design class.

In my opinion, for what it's worth, I don't think it should be stitched in a continuous, 'even' image.

It should remain as it is - a perfectly executed mural - well done.
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 8:43 AM   #6

nlp239 wrote:
Quote:
Peri,

In my opinion, for what it's worth, I don't think it should be stitched in a continuous, 'even' image.

It should remain as it is - a perfectly executed mural - well done.
I know that AutoStitch has an option to stitch without blending. The result is near-perfectly matched detail, witht the edges of each shot clearly defined. This might be useful in a case such as this.

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com

Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 10:12 AM   #7

Yip,

As Tom has mentioned, this is what I think will work well with this series. You can try some other manipulations too, crops etc..
LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote