Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Aug 17, 2005, 3:20 PM   #1

I have just bought (2 days ago) Nikon 8700 model and I try it yesterday in the evening. I will show you some of them with consideration that for shooting I used various scene mode only.

I know that they are not good but tell me how bad are they.

badusing or bad learning should be distroyed at the beginning so tell me everything without any shame.

I did not make any improvement on PC but "crop" and I could make so much things but i want you to see them as thay are from the camera with all mistakes.

Also, please consider that I'm "BABY" in photography, and I need to "eat" so "feed me".

picture's name: Bad weather's coming

Attached Images

ZAKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2005, 3:24 PM   #2

2nd picture is just a close-up flower
Attached Images

Old Aug 17, 2005, 3:28 PM   #3

3rd is "two run-aways" from my small town
Attached Images

Old Aug 17, 2005, 5:00 PM   #4
Super Moderator

#1- way too dark... and you are lacking a true standout subject.. if you see something you want to photograph, play around with some different angles and compositions until the subject you want to standout, does just that..

#2- too much going on here.. when starting out, it is best to learn to photograph one subject well.. so pick out a particularly beautiful flower and work on photographing it until you get shots that are well-exposed and aesthetically pleasing..

#3- once again, the subject here appears to be the town and not what you intended.. if you want the town to be in the background, that is fine as it gives the shot some context.. but you need to be MUCH closer to your subjects.. and preferrable when shooting animals is to shoot from their point of view.. so get down on the ground and shoot from their eye level, it will give them more presence in the shot..

and #1 advice to someone just starting is .. Practice, Practice, Practice.. and i don't mean just shoot 300 shots and see what happens... take notes on what you do and don't like in your photos and then go fix the "don'ts" and do more of the things you do like..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2005, 7:57 PM   #5

Zakd, I concur regarding pictures #1 & #2, but I think #3 has some possibilities. Crop out the dogs and make the town the subject of the picture. I think that's an excellent capture of the town and by itself makes an interesting picture.

Keep it up - take many, many shots of everything!

George
GeorgeNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2005, 8:00 PM   #6
Super Moderator

i would reshoot the town on a less humid and less hazy day.. because of the haze the colors are too muted and the sharpness is not there.. also it gives it a blue cast that is not pleasing..
Old Aug 18, 2005, 9:48 AM   #7

Thanks very much.

I know that the result of my shoting wasn't good but first time could not be better.

Anyhow, I will remember all the advices you'll give.

I had to show them in order to learn and to have a line on progress during further time that some one could tell me after some period(if I make any progress, ofcourse).

Also, I'm not interested to make any changes on PCat the pictures that I shoot as the reason of not showing what you have been really doing with your camera but the make-up cover over your work. Maybe this is not the good...I do not know... we will see

Old Aug 18, 2005, 10:28 AM   #8
Super Moderator

do not limit your creative vision by arbitrarily deciding not to include photoshop for some misguided ethical reasons..

better to keep in mind the various possibilities opened up by photoshop when shooting your shots.. then you can modify composition, exposure, etc in such a way to best reach YOUR creative vision afterusing all the tools you have at your disposal..
Old Aug 18, 2005, 4:17 PM   #9

OK, I will accept sugestion from expert for sure. Using Photoshop is not problem because I have 3 years of working with PSD so... let's get to it...