Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Aug 18, 2005, 3:21 AM   #1

This was cropped to get rid of green bucket right next to the door. I played with some perspective correction, but decided against it.

Is this crop too tight?

Also, how do I put drop shadows in borders?
Attached Images

Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 18, 2005, 10:31 AM   #2
Super Moderator

the composition is just a little too tight for me, i would have backed off just a bit.. this would have given the shot a little more context.. i doubt the bucket would have detrimented the shot in any way...

the simplest way to frame a shot for web is to use some kind of framer plugin..do a search for photoshop frame/framer plugin and you should come up with several things to choose from..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 4:07 AM   #3

Here's the uncropped version. I decided to leave the pole on the left as well. I dont think it distracts too much.

I am becoming a contrast junkie. I found that if I do a bit of levels and colour balance before doing the BW conversion with the channels, I can get much better contrast and details of a shot.
Attached Images

Old Aug 19, 2005, 5:04 AM   #4

I think the uncropped version is better.However,it might be improved more by cloning out the tree trunk and vegetation,Andrew
shaggydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 5:09 AM   #5

I thought about doing it, but Im not even gonna try with all the detail in the walls. Getting the amount of luminace and the texture right so it looks realistic will take way too much effort, if it is possible at all.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 5:16 AM   #6

Dustin maybe able to help you out,thereAndrew
shaggydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 7:03 AM   #7

I think the bucket ADDS to the image. Could you try a wider crop?

nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 9:24 AM   #8

I, too prefer the uncropped version. The bucket is by no means a distraction. The tree trunk is a bit of a problem. Instead of getting rid of it, you coud continue it through the top of the frame so that it looks like a whole tree.

For me, though, I would like to see a fixed-perspective version. There is nothing wrong with diagonals; strong lines make a great image. The lines here are not strong angles however. They are off just enough to be bothersome.

Still, I like the subject and the b/w conversion.

Cheers,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com

Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 9:52 AM   #9

Thanks for the comments. I like the uncropped better version as well. Dont knowwhy I wanted to crop in the first place. (oh yeah, to get rid of the bucket and pole/treetrunk :-p)It took a lot of playing around for noobish me to get the plastic green bucket not to stand out too much.

I did a perspective correction, but did not like it. But it was on the first image I think. I will do another and post it here as well.

As for a wider crop, this is a 100% uncropped picture. I do have a couple of much wider shots of the same building. I think I will post it in another thread after the weekend. The troubling thing is that there are a lot of the wooden poles standing upright in front of the building.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 2:47 PM   #10
Super Moderator

i much prefer the uncropped version as well... i agree with tom, if you let it continue on, it could look like a tree.. cloning that out would be nigh impossible.. the bucket doesn't bother me at all...
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote