Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Aug 18, 2005, 1:29 PM   #1

So im fairly new at all this, just had me camera with me saw some spots they thought were cool so we decided to take some photos.

http://www.stolenemotions.co.uk - my work

www.lobeonline.co.uk- the band 'lobe'
mikeadams1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 18, 2005, 4:03 PM   #2
Super Moderator

#1- i would shoot from a lower perspective and get closer to fill the frame.. that would add little more mood and dynamicism to this shot.. i would have also had them all take a few more steps forward to get light on all their faces..

#2- the first subject is lighted well, but the others are in shadow.. not sure if the environment would allow you to fix this..

#3- this one is my favorite.. watch cropping off people's faces, its not flattering.. and this shot would have shown all their faces better by inching the camera to the left in order to shoot just a tad bit more straight on..

#4- the sky is blown on this one.. so its way to bright and distracting.. different time of day would have helped.. as well as getting your subjects a little closer together so their isn't so much dead space...

overall, i think you have got some good moody shots here that could be helped with some work on the technicals.. keep shooting!!

regards, -dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2005, 4:07 PM   #3

Really like number 3 here. I'm curious about what the guy on the right is turning to look at. I'm curious about what the guy next to this seems to be thinking very hard about and thinking that it might be what the other two guys are talking about.

The black and white works well on this one. I do find that black mark on the arm near the bottom of the image to be somewhat distracting, but I'm sure that could be easily removed.

I might have shot from a tiny bit further around to the front of them, but not so much to lose the impact of that guy gazing away out of the image (looks like you might have been standing in the road if you had moved a bit further out so I can understand that it might not have been a healthy option).

Great stuff.
Squonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2005, 7:56 PM   #4

thanks fellas

Dustin, any help on the technical side mate? i just bought myself a sigma 28-3003.5-6.3DG macro. so any suggestions withusing that ?

squonk - i never even noticed the black mark :S will check with origionall file to c if its on that :s

The feedback is much appreciated and will greatly help me learn
Old Aug 18, 2005, 8:26 PM   #5
Super Moderator

well start with the composition technicals i gave you in my earlier post..

the best advice i can give you with thator any lensis try to shoot that lens stopped down a couple of notches, this will ensure you optimal sharpness.. (somewhere in the neighborhood of at least f7.1 on the wide angle side and f8 or so closer to 300).. you may need to adjust the ISO or use some sort of tripodor support to get sharp pics in lower light when doing so though especially at 300mm..
Old Aug 18, 2005, 8:28 PM   #6
Super Moderator

that is not set in stone rule though.. if you need to blur the background you may need to open up to 5.6.. or if you are finding that your subjects are not all in focus, you may need to close down to f11 or so..
Old Aug 19, 2005, 3:20 AM   #7

ah sound mate.

so basically i need to have a smaller aperatuire ( bigger f stop?) to gain sharpness over all but this will then reduce my light?

is my theory on that correct?

getting a tripod 2morrow.

Any suggestions, possibly small enough to fit into a rucksack but can extend decent enough?

thanks again.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 4:09 AM   #8
Super Moderator

yes, you will lose light forcing you to bump the ISO or use some sort of support..

if portability is paramount.. Velbon makes a Ultra-Luxi or Ultra-Maxi or something like that, that is supposed to be pretty good...
Old Aug 23, 2005, 6:01 PM   #9

had a look at the velbon tripods, looked a bit pricey for something im not going to use too ofte, so i just went with jessops own.

goes down pretty small, about 60cm and extends to about 160 all in all.
cant complan 40quid, plus picked up a circular poloriser, more photos to come

thanks for the advice peeps, spec hard 80
Old Aug 28, 2005, 7:34 AM   #10

I think you've done a splendid job on all the shots except #2. The light fall off just doesn't work here.

The blown sky works well with #4 and I do not feel it distracts at all. My eyes are quickly drawn to the subjects and the stairs provide a nice visual path that lead me to each one.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote