Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Aug 24, 2005, 5:49 AM   #11

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
my very quick and dirty attempt (not good at this typ of processing)...
I see where you're coming from, I have actually done a shot like that with my wife and daughter, I like it but the wife's not too keen although I think it's growing on her too.

I'll post some more when I get chance and see if I can improve the effect.

Thanks for your comments.

Cheers

Mart.
mf_blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2005, 8:20 PM   #12

my try
Attached Images

gwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2005, 10:29 PM   #13

i think playing with different poses and simplifying their clothing would help this type of high key look that you are going for.*
julies517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2005, 7:16 AM   #14

Hello Mart,

You've controlled the background lighting nicely. Here you have a background that is keyed high, but that alone does not make this a high key portrait. High key is the concentration on lighter colors and low key is the concentration on dark colors.

The lighting technique used on the subjects is not appropriate for a high key shot. There should be little to no shadowing in a high key image. Butterfly lighting would have worked nicely here. The eyes should be the darkest element in the scene without losing the sparkle. Try the shot again with the key light above the lens with the fill light or reflector below the lens.

The lighting on your subjects is too harsh creating unattractive dark facial lines. The dark lines under the eyes is something we really shouldn't see on children. Try shooting through your umbrella(if you have a translucent one) and position it closer to your subjects for softer lighting.

I'm not familiar with the term "super high key" and do not agree that high key means skin tones will be almost white or nearly blown. There are many different processing techniques that render a washed out look, however.

Our eyes are attracted to contrast and I believe everyone can see where the viewer is drawn to in this image. The darkness in the boy's clothing is an obvious attention getter. Put more thought into clothing and reshoot the image

The pose isn't very interesting and looks too much like a pose we'd see in a candid shot. Study some brother sister poses and attempted your own variation of one you think will work best.

The framing of this shot isn't very good either. You have too much uninteresting space at the top and each side of your subjects.

Attached is a quick crude edit so you'll have something to compare your exposures to. I've selectively brightened the boy so both will be near the same exposure.

Thank you for sharing.

Rodney
Attached Images

RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2005, 10:33 AM   #15

Haven't seen you around for a while Rodney. Worth the wait though. For the nice edit and critique 8).
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2005, 2:32 PM   #16

Stevekin wrote:
Quote:
Haven't seen you around for a while Rodney. Worth the wait though. For the nice edit and critique 8).
Hello Stevekin,

Yeah, I do not check in as often as I once did, but I do check out the forum about once per week.

Thanks for the comments.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote