Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Aug 19, 2005, 4:33 PM   #1

comments welcome.

cheers

Mart.

mf_blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2005, 5:55 PM   #2

Hello Mart, smashing shot of two lovely looking kids, who seem happy with each other.

Although your daughter does seem to have too tight a grip on her brother, and the poor lad can't scream with pain in front of the camera.

It might just be me, but my only problem is the white background. With them both being fair they don't 'stand out' enough.

Great shot of the subjects though. Is this in your own 'studio', or a 'pro' job ?

To show what I mean.......

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2005, 2:45 AM   #3

Thanks SteveKin

It's my own studio setup, just bought two paper backgrounds and the roller system, also got a portaflash studio 2 kit and my sigma dg500 flashgun, I was using two small slaves and the sigma to blow out the background and the portaflash 336vm as the main light with brolly attached.

I was going for the high key lifestyle look that's why it's all white, I like what you did with it though, may try to reproduce that effect in the studio with the lights.

Thanks for your comments

cheers

Mart

PS. I used a Canon 300D with 18-55mm Kit Lense for this shot.

Old Aug 20, 2005, 3:39 AM   #4
Super Moderator

the problem here is that in your attempt to blow the background, your subjects were still close enough to the background that the bounched flash came back and almost rimlighted them in halo..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2005, 1:46 PM   #5

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
the problem here is that in your attempt to blow the background, your subjects were still close enough to the background that the bounched flash came back and almost rimlighted them in halo..

What do you think of this shot then.?

Old Aug 20, 2005, 2:01 PM   #6

I can't really make it out at that size.
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2005, 4:52 PM   #7
Super Moderator

i can't really tell either, but it still looks pretty hot..
Old Aug 24, 2005, 4:03 AM   #8

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
i can't really tell either, but it still looks pretty hot..
Well it is pretty hot and done by a professional studio, it's become a very popular style of photography in the UK. Very modern look. Take a look at

http://www.thisisventure.co.uk/

I didn't like it at first but after having a go it's kinda growing on me. See what you think.

cheers

Mart.
Old Aug 24, 2005, 4:21 AM   #9
Super Moderator

okay, i see the look that you are going for.. SUPER high key... i checked out the portfolio and it looked pretty good..

now i am seeing the problem i am having with your shot.. the subjects are not matching the background... that is the problem.. they are exposed as if standing in front of a plain background..

so in their shoots, they also process the subjects to be high key as well.. so they lighten and blur the skin and such... this allows the subject as well as the background to be high key.. this allows for a better balance between the subject and the background.. so if you are going to shoot the background that blown you are going to have to process the children to be "blown" as well...

alright, so i know nothing about processing high-key photos.. so my technical advice is going to be rather limited.. but in general try to raise the brightness of your kids' skin tones almost toa white, you may also want to do a gausean blur layer as well, and then lower the opacity of it just a bit and overlay it with the origina.. and then crop in alot closer... i think that a few action poses would look really nice with this setup too.. actually i think a few shots where your kids are interacting in some way using this type of shot could be really cool...

ok, you converterd me, now i just want to see some more.. as for getting the high key look, you may do a search on the web for glamour processing or high-key processing for the details..

cheers, -dustin
Old Aug 24, 2005, 4:30 AM   #10
Super Moderator

my very quick and dirty attempt (not good at this typ of processing)...
Attached Images